Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's everyone's spots looking for the Z3 split? A few ducks are around in mine. Even the main river by me is almost completely frozen over, but my private creek is holding a fair amount of mallards and blacks during the day, I just have no idea where they're roosting right now.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Depends how bad it gets, but my z3 is like my z2. I got a open mallard hole, squaw hole and their is potential for ge if they stick around. But my crew slim and working hard for birds in frigid weather doesnt get them fired up, so I may watch it snow.

These are my black plastic birds in z2 I left alone. Got a few in z3 similar
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1387139474.267020.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Saw a ton of mallards on the river today while steelhead fishing;)

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Too early to tell. I'wait till after next week to get depressed or excited.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm not gonna get too excited yet, but I think my spot will hold birds til late season if their roost stays open. And I woulda been all over those mallards SS!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
ok, gotta ask..is that not open water ?
If your asking that to me it is, but the big thing is its all private. I took this pic from a bridge. There is around 250 mallards and 6 blacks total in there right now. I know where they feed about 2 miles away. In years past when z2 split was late enough for this lake to freeze I set up my plastic spread and pass shot these for a 2 man limit with my bud. This is the first time it's been froze since I'm guessing 12 years ago in the split. I ended up hunting squaw from my layout using my airboat to get out this year. Oddly I don't chase mallards much, but I got a few spots like this where mallards sit most the winter and fly out to feed spots. Some private some not. I'm just a big water junkie and get my jollies with divers. Things get much more iced up and I may try my luck at greenheads.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
I'm pretty lucky. My main late season roost can't be hunted, and it never fully freezes. I do however have other roost areas and spots, but those can be hunted and usually are. I had a great spot set up last year in a field close to the roost until 30 seconds after shooting time. :lol: Scratched a few stragglers, but it could have been "epic".

·
Registered
439 Posts
Looks like Diver hunting may not be an option. I hope we get a warm snap.
If so some of my fields will get birds.
Last year we drove for 6 hours to find birds..
You just never know. Few years back had a flood pot hole holding 1000 geese/mallards...next day it froze and was blue bird. We saw 2 birds.
I do like the late season !!!!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Ask me the afternoon of the 29th. Glad to give you all the info you want. :D

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
just about all boat launches are frozen. Even there are ducks, how do we get to them? unless you have a field. note that ducks and geese roost right on top of the ice. BTW, yesterday and today I saw lots and lots of geese flying high north to south in 13 mile and telegraph area. I will be looking for corn fields in the area.:evil:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My spot had about a dozen today now, getting pretty close to being locked tight. Ready for the warm-up to happen so it opens it up before it gets cold again.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
just about all boat launches are frozen. Even there are ducks, how do we get to them? unless you have a field. note that ducks and geese roost right on top of the ice. BTW, yesterday and today I saw lots and lots of geese flying high north to south in 13 mile and telegraph area. I will be looking for corn fields in the area.:evil:
And the open water I'm seeing has Titanic size ice bergs floating down.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Doesn't look good. Thurs and Fri this week are the only 2 days that are projected to be above freezing before the opener. Won't even get out of the teens on Monday. Open water will be at a premium.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts