Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
14,628 Posts
I think people are finally realizing our state has the ability to grow nice bucks, state wide. Trail cams have helped tremendously along with habitat improvement, QDM philosophy, and believe it or not, the internet.
Agree on all accounts. Visit a deer processor, look at kills posted on ms.com - whatever method someone uses to assess what's happening out there, it's clear that a lot of change has occurred in terms of what many hunters are choosing to shoot.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Ummm.. I took an area where we would see 0-5 deer per sit to this year 5-18 per sit. All time highs for doe & buck sightings. Rut was insane!!!

Imagine that, quantity & quality. Sounds horrible doesn't it.
Closet Qdm’er.!! Don’t worry Brian, some of us know your an excellent practitioner. Congrats on your land improvements. I’m not surprised with your success.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Ummm.. I took an area where we would see 0-5 deer per sit to this year 5-18 per sit. All time highs for doe & buck sightings. Rut was insane!!!

Imagine that, quantity & quality. Sounds horrible doesn't it.
Excellent job. Question. I am actually looking for someone to come out to the land and see what it needs. Ya interested at all?

paul

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Excellent job. Question. I am actually looking for someone to come out to the land and see what it needs. Ya interested at all?

paul
Haha!! Thats funny, I see pics of all those bucks u guys take down. Dish7 says u the Don Higgins of MI.
U can come out to my place to give me advice

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Man I wanna pull out my TC Omega but this obnoxious all weapons season is making me lazy. I’ll just continue to use the shotgun with 4 supporting cast members waiting in the chamber for back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Half tempted to say the same but love the ol smoke pole. Will be shooting as soon as the mud decides to freeze at my shooting spot. Plus love when the smoke clears and the critter is laying there belly up :)

& also from this thread and how I read it, it has to be a muzzle loader on state ground ?? or am I wrong on that ? Will continue to make my own judgement once I read again but see what you guy's read too

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
AJ...any legal firearm in zone 3 12/4-12/13. Then Muzzleloader only on Public Land 12/14-1/1. And you CAN shoot a buck with a ML on Public land in zone 3 12/14-1/1 if you have a valid unused buck tag. Or fill those tags with doe if you so choose.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
AJ...any legal firearm in zone 3 12/4-12/13. Then Muzzleloader only on Public Land 12/14-1/1. And you CAN shoot a buck with a ML on Public land in zone 3 12/14-1/1 if you have a valid unused buck tag. Or fill those tags with doe if you so choose.
What I comprehend as well Mike, thanks !

·
Registered
35,284 Posts
I’m really. I pulled one of my muzzleloaders out of the safe on Thanksgiving Day to verify zero. Point of aim 3” low at 100 yards. I ran a couple of clean dry patches down the barrel then loaded it up. One shot is all it took to tell me I’m point blank out to 200 yards. I cleaned it and am ready for the season. I can’t wait to let the smoke out of the barrel.

82CC135C-7FB0-4022-A844-998DD1B69D37.jpeg

·
Registered
35,284 Posts

- DNR News -
July 17, 2020
Media contact: Chad Stewart, 517-282-4810
Public inquiries: [email protected]

Natural Resources Commission approves 2020 deer hunting regulations

The Michigan Natural Resources Commission yesterday approved a new package of deer regulations at the commission’s regular monthly meeting, which was conducted in an online and conference call format due to COVID-19 public health and safety concerns.

Michigan Department of Natural Resources deer program experts say the regulations, which will be in effect for the 2020 deer hunting season, will provide additional opportunities and cost savings for hunters and offer flexibility in how hunters pursue deer. The DNR uses existing and projected data to gauge the impact of proposed regulations. The data shows that the projected changes will not have a significant negative effect on the deer herd or the quality of deer hunting.

“These recommendations are aimed at making it easier for hunters of all ages and experience levels to enjoy a Michigan outdoor tradition, while at the same time facing the present and future challenges of managing the state’s abundant deer population,” said Chad Stewart, the DNR’s deer, elk and moose program leader.

Approved deer regulations for 2020 include:

Statewide
  • Liberty and Independence hunt qualifications now include deaf people.
  • Mentored youths (age 9 and younger), junior license holders (age 10-16) and apprentice license holders are exempt from antler point restrictions in all seasons, in all deer management units (DMUs) and under all licenses, which includes both the regular and restricted tags on the deer combo license.
  • The statewide limit for private-land antlerless license purchase is 10 per hunter. This limit offers maximum opportunity for those who wish to manage abundant deer on their property.
  • Hunters with disabilities may use single-bite and multibite baits during the Liberty and Independence hunts. Hunters participating in the Liberty and Independence hunts may begin baiting five days before both hunts.
Upper Peninsula
  • Upper Peninsula archers in select DMUs may pursue antlerless deer with their deer/deer combo license. The following DMUs continue to be closed to antlerless harvest during the archery seasons: 027, 031, 036, 042, 066, 127 and 131. Additional DMUs may be open or closed based on the snowfall totals from the prior winter, pending DNR analysis. Please see the 2020 Hunting Digest for complete regulations when it becomes available in August.
  • Antler point restrictions have been removed on the deer license in parts of DMU 122, including areas outside the core chronic wasting disease surveillance area.
Lower Peninsula
  • In addition to the archery season, antlerless deer may be taken on the deer/deer combo license during the firearm and muzzleloader seasons in all Lower Peninsula DMUs.
  • Early and late antlerless seasons will be open in all Lower Peninsula mainland DMUs.
  • Antlerless deer may be taken on a deer/deer combo license during both the early and late antlerless seasons in the Lower Peninsula.
  • Antlerless quotas will change in select DMUs.
  • The muzzleloader season in the southern Lower Peninsula will be shortened to 10 days and the late antlerless firearm season will begin the Monday after the muzzleloader season concludes in the Lower Peninsula. Muzzleloaders can be used on public lands in Zone 3 during the late antlerless firearm season to take any deer with a valid tag.
  • All legal firearms may be used during the muzzleloader season in the southern Lower Peninsula.
  • Carcass movement restrictions will be scaled to areas most affected by chronic wasting disease. This aligns movement restrictions to areas with the highest risk of CWD is being observed.
  • The expanded archery season through Jan. 31 will continue for one more year in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. It previously expired Jan. 31, 2020.
The 2020 Hunting Digest will have further information regarding these regulations. The digest is in the process of being finalized now that regulations are set. Watch for the current digest in August at Michigan.gov/DNRDigests.

Learn more about deer management and hunting at Michigan.gov/Deer.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts