Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
141 - 160 of 178 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Pretty sure they are still discounted. They were $5 not long ago, but since the universal tags I haven’t checked. I just pay $20 so I know I can fill it
They are still discounted for the core area.I think like $10.00.I just bought the universal tag so I could use it in any area that was open to antlerless.Sometimes the opportunity presents itself to hunt another area.

· Registered
167 Posts
Must be pockets. Went from way too many to very few in a couple years for us up there.
I always see deer where I hunt. Being able to get a good shot on them is a different story .Last year I seen plenty of deer but nothing I could take a shot at.Hunt a lot of thick woods. Generally When you can take a shot it's close quarters and the action is fast.

· Registered
480 Posts
Hunting and killing are one in the same, absolutely no one is gonna spend all the dollars on tags, equipment, and such to go sit in the weather and get wet and freeze their azz off to not kill.
I have to disagree with you RHRoss. Hunting & killing are NOT " one & the same". I've hunted many times without killing anything. Any time that I can spend enjoying nature is special to me. I've photographed sunrises, does interacting with fawns, etc. Last year I witnessed two big bucks fighting for dominance for nearly 20 minutes. Intense fight - first time I ever saw that. Really with I'd have been able to film it. Out of bow range though.
I'm not a trophy hunter though I like a big buck as much as anyone. I'm sure many of the MS members are better hunters than I am but I have harvested about 40 deer over the years.

· Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
3,851 Posts
I have to disagree with you RHRoss. Hunting & killing are NOT " one & the same". I've hunted many times without killing anything. Any time that I can spend enjoying nature is special to me. I've photographed sunrises, does interacting with fawns, etc. Last year I witnessed two big bucks fighting for dominance for nearly 20 minutes. Intense fight - first time I ever saw that. Really with I'd have been able to film it. Out of bow range though.
I'm not a trophy hunter though I like a big buck as much as anyone. I'm sure many of the MS members are better hunters than I am but I have harvested about 40 deer over the years.
Okay, photography ain’t huntin, nor is watching sunsets.Not every hunt is successful, but you’re out there trying to kill something (hense the weapon in your hand). That’s all I’m saying.

· Registered
504 Posts
It's nice to think that's really why. The vast majority of folks just don't need to shoot 4 doe. Regardless of the tag cost.
4 deer doesn’t go that far if your making jerky, summer sausage, canning and all the other delicious ways to prepare it.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

50,713 Posts
4 deer doesn’t go that far if your making jerky, summer sausage, canning and all the other delicious ways to prepare it.

Yeah if your whole family eats it and you give a lot away. Ain't the case for I'd guess at least half of hunter families. Seems a huge part of the population has a female component that won't eat venison.

· Registered
504 Posts
Yeah if your whole family eats it and you give a lot away. Ain't the case for I'd guess at least half of hunter families. Seems a huge part of the population has a female component that won't eat venison.
That’s definitely true to a point but my sons football buddies were over tonight and let’s just say the ten pounds of jerky I made last night is not gonna need vacuum bags.

· Registered
480 Posts
I guess the cost of deer tags depends upon one's perspective. For a deer hunter who likes to hunt for a buck and then maybe add a doe for the freezer $20 probably isn't unreasonable. But...some landowners need to harvest more than 1 or 2 does in order to properly manage deer impact on their habitat. My next door neighbor (a dairy farmer) gets free crop damage permits and shoots bucks (illegally), does and fawns all summer long - for free. As somebody mentioned earlier, the DNR doesn't manage the deer herd on my property - I do. Sometimes I may need to kill up to 6 does, in most cases which I donate to the feed the hungry program. That will cost me another $120 on top of my deer combo licenses - not necessarily for the privilege of hunting, but for the necessity of managing the deer herd on my property.

2 sides of the same coin....
With all due respect, when u consider the cost of owning property & all accompanying expenses (taxes, ins., etc.), what's another $ 100 or even 200, really? Again, with all due respect, if $100 is that much of a hardship, the property probably isn't realistically affordable.
Not looking for a argument, but with the cost of acreage, a couple hundred a year for tags is comparatively a drop in the proverbial bucket.

· Registered
13,843 Posts
With all due respect, when u consider the cost of owning property & all accompanying expenses (taxes, ins., etc.), what's another $ 100 or even 200, really? Again, with all due respect, if $100 is that much of a hardship, the property probably isn't realistically affordable.
Not looking for a argument, but with the cost of acreage, a couple hundred a year for tags is comparatively a drop in the proverbial bucket.
I'm glad you aren't looking for an argument because your point isn't worth the effort of a reply.

· Registered
480 Posts
Okay, photography ain’t huntin, nor is watching sunsets.Not every hunt is successful, but you’re out there trying to kill something (hense the weapon in your hand). That’s all I’m saying.
Yes, I take a weapon out with me. My point is just that I don't HAVE to kill something to be able to say I had a good hunt. Gosh, if all of us killed a deer every time we went out, there wouldn't be any deer left. Lol.

50,713 Posts
That is SO true. With property values around 2 - 4k/ acre, taxes, ins., equipment & everything else, what's a $20 tag? ??
Considering the gear is already purchased and if you're processing yourself, the additional tag makes the venison extremely cheap. Less than $1/lb. Probably a couple dollars total more with a bow than gun since the heads cost so much.

· Registered
183 Posts
Considering the gear is already purchased and if you're processing yourself, the additional tag makes the venison extremely cheap. Less than $1/lb. Probably a couple dollars total more with a bow than gun since the heads cost so much.
My wife tells me that our venison costs about $200.00 per lb. My reply: it's worth twice that much!

· Registered
13,843 Posts
I bought a combo, and 3antlerless tags for $100. Where in any other state can ya do that? Costs are a ridiculous argument!
I dig, one of (if not the cheapest) states for licensing fees in the Country
You don't have to look very far.... Right across the border in Ohio resident landowners, spouses and children can hunt and trap on their own property for free.

"Do landowners need a hunting license in Ohio?

License Exemptions

Ohio resident landowners, spouses, and their children are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit, or Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp when hunting or trapping on land they own."

141 - 160 of 178 Posts