Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

· Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
3,851 Posts
Iam sure that most guys that bitch don’t complain about going out to eat and the bar and spending 50 in one night.Hunting and fishing license is Best Buy I make all year 12 months doing what you like dirt cheap entertainment money spent
Only $50, when’s the last time you were out?, 1975?

· Registered
9,646 Posts
One dollar used to buy a gallon of gas, too. It's called inflation. Your point?
Antlerless tag costs have been variable based on how badly the state wants deer dead. Free for certain land owners during the early CWD days. $5 in zones with Tb to encourage taking of more antlerless deer. Historically every time the DNR wants antlerless reduced they do so by discounting the price of antlerless licenses.

Based on the license cost being $20 and the state starting to decline DMAPs for those that have always received them, I don't think they are serious about increasing antlerless kill

· Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
DNR -narrative shoot more does
QDMA -see above
Insurance companies- see above

Now there's 40 deer per sq and 2 guys shooting does. How do we get the guys that do/or can to take more? That's the point of cheaper antlerless tags! Not because those guys need more deer. Bottom line there are too many in places.

· Registered
13,843 Posts
I guess the cost of deer tags depends upon one's perspective. For a deer hunter who likes to hunt for a buck and then maybe add a doe for the freezer $20 probably isn't unreasonable. But...some landowners need to harvest more than 1 or 2 does in order to properly manage deer impact on their habitat. My next door neighbor (a dairy farmer) gets free crop damage permits and shoots bucks (illegally), does and fawns all summer long - for free. As somebody mentioned earlier, the DNR doesn't manage the deer herd on my property - I do. Sometimes I may need to kill up to 6 does, in most cases which I donate to the feed the hungry program. That will cost me another $120 on top of my deer combo licenses - not necessarily for the privilege of hunting, but for the necessity of managing the deer herd on my property.

2 sides of the same coin....

· Registered
7,294 Posts
Over a few dollars? Really? Meh...
I think that a few more tags would be sold initially to guys who think they are getting a bargain. Not sure that would create a financial impact. Then, in the end, 90% of hunters will kill the same number of deer on average.

· Registered
17,662 Posts
I remember gas was .29 cents and cigarettes were .35 cents.
Yeah but we're laborers on construction crews making 17+$ know I wasn't!

As for muzzleloader I loved mine. What I liked most is the break the deer had.. They came out in daylight most always after the little pressure break. Wish it'd go back. No problem shooting my muzzloader. I shot, smoke clears, dead deer..

50,719 Posts
I think that a few more tags would be sold initially to guys who think they are getting a bargain. Not sure that would create a financial impact. Then, in the end, 90% of hunters will kill the same number of deer on average.
Yea I agree with that

It ain't the cost of the tag that is prohibitive. Fact is, there's a bit of work involved after the shot! Not to mention time involved in hunting. A few guys on MS that hunt waaaaay more than the average Michigan deer hunter kind of skew the vision of the overall impact.

· Registered
3,962 Posts
Based on the license cost being $20 and the state starting to decline DMAPs for those that have always received them, I don't think they are serious about increasing antlerless kill
One of the reasons for the Universal antlerless tag was to allow hunters to shoot more does without having to use the DMAP system which was dependent on cooperation from the local DNR biologist.

· Premium Member
16,841 Posts
Yeah but we're laborers on construction crews making 17+$ know I wasn't!

As for muzzleloader I loved mine. What I liked most is the break the deer had.. They came out in daylight most always after the little pressure break. Wish it'd go back. No problem shooting my muzzloader. I shot, smoke clears, dead deer..
I agree. That break was good.

· Banned
41,844 Posts
We used to see 20-30 a sit. Each of 3-4 guys on 80 acres. Now we might each see a couple and they're probably the same ones.
You can thank Wildlife Services for herd reduction in that area. The bonus January season also helped reduce the herd via HAP land

· Registered
2,829 Posts
I guess the cost of deer tags depends upon one's perspective. For a deer hunter who likes to hunt for a buck and then maybe add a doe for the freezer $20 probably isn't unreasonable. But...some landowners need to harvest more than 1 or 2 does in order to properly manage deer impact on their habitat. My next door neighbor (a dairy farmer) gets free crop damage permits and shoots bucks (illegally), does and fawns all summer long - for free. As somebody mentioned earlier, the DNR doesn't manage the deer herd on my property - I do. Sometimes I may need to kill up to 6 does, in most cases which I donate to the feed the hungry program. That will cost me another $120 on top of my deer combo licenses - not necessarily for the privilege of hunting, but for the necessity of managing the deer herd on my property.

2 sides of the same coin....
Very similar situation for me. The past 3 seasons i'm averaging 6-8 does a year to try and keep things in check. Probably should double that. We've been in contact with neighboring land owners, especially the ones that hold deer like us. #1 complaint is cost. They don't want to have to spend $200 a year just to kill deer so they shoot what they need and call it good.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts