Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 178 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Over a few dollars? Really? Meh...
Sure shot, you beat me to that comment. I personally can't see complaining about a $20 tag. Full price for a base license & combo tags is $51. That price allows one the opportunity to spend up to 3 months hunting ( depending on whether they choose to shoot the first legal deer or are more selective). What does it cost to take the wife/ s.o. out for just an evening? Sorry, but I just can't sympathize with guys bitching about cost of tags.
Just my opinion. Not looking for an argument.

· Registered
480 Posts
I know people that hunt with their smoke pole all year long because they love it.

I used to before I bought my 30.06. It had way better range than my ol 30-30.

I just don't see a reason to take out my muzzy and dirty it up if I don't have to, not this year anyway. I did get it out and shoot it over the summer a little though.
5=100
or
10=100
I try to spend wisely and have a lot of deer to kill! That would reduce my cost in half for the deer i donate
That almost sounds like it's more about killing than hunting. I do salute you for donating to the needy. You must have a ridiculous number of deer in your area. We take 6 to 10 deer annually from our 80 acres in the thumb. I was told that in 2021, they took 26 deer on crop damage permits. I can not verify that number, however.

50,719 Posts
Sure shot, you beat me to that comment. I personally can't see complaining about a $20 tag. Full price for a base license & combo tags is $51. That price allows one the opportunity to spend up to 3 months hunting ( depending on whether they choose to shoot the first legal deer or are more selective). What does it cost to take the wife/ s.o. out for just an evening? Sorry, but I just can't sympathize with guys bitching about cost of tags.
I just think other factors are orders of magnitude more impact than tag cost. There will be a ton of folks spending $40 on a few drinks and a burger but $20 for a whole deer...

· Registered
9,646 Posts
I just think other factors are orders of magnitude more impact than tag cost. There will be a ton of folks spending $40 on a few drinks and a burger but $20 for a whole deer...
$20 used to buy 4 tags. Now $20 buys 1. I buy 2 at the start now instead of 4 and fill them both before buying more. Not blowing $80 out of the gate. This year had I had 4 I would have had 3 on Nov 15 and could have filled them all.

· Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
3,851 Posts
That almost sounds like it's more about killing than hunting. I do salute you for donating to the needy. You must have a ridiculous number of deer in your area. We take 6 to 10 deer annually from our 80 acres in the thumb. I was told that in 2021, they took 26 deer on crop damage permits. I can not verify that number, however.
Hunting and killing are one in the same, absolutely no one is gonna spend all the dollars on tags, equipment, and such to go sit in the weather and get wet and freeze their azz off to not kill.

50,719 Posts
$20 used to buy 4 tags. Now $20 buys 1. I buy 2 at the start now instead of 4 and fill them both before buying more. Not blowing $80 out of the gate. This year had I had 4 I would have had 3 on Nov 15 and could have filled them all.
And a penny used to buy a piece of candy.

Priorities. It's simple to find $60 to not spend elsewhere.

· Registered
480 Posts
Muzzle loader season should be patched round ball, sidelock or flint lock.
Originally, they probably should've called it " primitive weapon" season & limited it to weapons patented before a certain date. That would've protected the original intent of the season.
Full disclosure - I use a Thompson omega. Bought it because I don't have to mess with patch & ball. Super accurate gun but again, its light years ahead of the flintlocks.

· Registered
9,646 Posts
And a penny used to buy a piece of candy.

Priorities. It's simple to find $60 to not spend elsewhere.
It's not about finding $60 to not spend elsewhere. Finding money isn't a problem for me, but then again that is because i am mindful with my money and dont wasnt it.

I don't need to shoot 4 does. The Low cost allowed me to do it.

50,719 Posts
It's not about finding $60 to not spend elsewhere. Finding money isn't a problem for me, but then again that is because i am mindful with my money and dont wasnt it.

I don't need to shoot 4 does. The Low cost allowed me to do it.
It's nice to think that's really why. The vast majority of folks just don't need to shoot 4 doe. Regardless of the tag cost.

· Premium Member
16,070 Posts

· Registered
5,698 Posts
Iam sure that most guys that bitch don’t complain about going out to eat and the bar and spending 50 in one night.Hunting and fishing license is Best Buy I make all year 12 months doing what you like dirt cheap entertainment money spent

101 - 120 of 178 Posts