Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many headed north for the opener Saturday? Some of our group is headed to duck camp tonight. I'm getting a little later start. Didn't realize when I bought my wife Kieth Urban tickets for her birthday it was on Thursday before the opener. Looking like a real ducky opener.

·
Registered
965 Posts
No ducks up there, stay home and watch football...in some ways I find zone 1 opener more crowded than zone 2 or 3...deer season isn't going, and everyone trying to get a jump on the season. Last couple of years some real jerks have soured it for me, set up on me way to close. I told one group they where in a crap spot and they should come sit with me, they didn't and then proceeded to skybust ducks working my spread...classy. anyways good luck and for God's sake be curtious..and if someone says come sit with me thats probably me.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
How did everyone do?
Didn't make it up for the morning. Have hit that point in life where kids activities go until late on Friday nights. Drove up solo yesterday afternoon and sat a spot on a hunch. Collected a wood duck to kick off the season to avoid the skunk. Passed on a ton of mergs. Learned a little more about a spot I've been watching for the last three years. Debating going up next weekend to see if I can put it all together for a banger.

Bird Beak Organism Natural material Feather

·
Registered
33 Posts
My son sent me these pictures yesterday of his morning opener with his two buddies. Set up camp to spend the night out there to claim “their spot”. Was going to tell him he is in the UP and that wasn’t necessary, but where is the fun if there isn‘t an adventure?

View attachment 855613

View attachment 855611

View attachment 855612
Nice job! Great to see someone laying out some birds, have yet to do the up north hunt as it's quite the long haul for me and don't have any connections up there but looks like their camp was well worth it. (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
What number of traveled north for the opener Saturday? A portion of our gathering is made a beeline for duck camp this evening. I'm getting a little later beginning. Didn't understand when I purchased my significant other Kieth Metropolitan tickets for her birthday it was on Thursday before the opener. Seeming to be a genuine ducky opener.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Didn't make it up for the morning. Have hit that point in life where kids activities go until late on Friday nights. Drove up solo yesterday afternoon and sat a spot on a hunch. Collected a wood duck to kick off the season to avoid the skunk. Passed on a ton of mergs. Learned a little more about a spot I've been watching for the last three years. Debating going up next weekend to see if I can put it all together for a banger.
C'mon bump you know you cant be passing on those mergs! Population control!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Newish Waterfowl hunter here with my first Zone 1 opener. I've hunted Canada Goose in cut corn fields for many years but ducks on the water was all new to me. My buddy just got into Duck hunting last year, rigged his Jon boat with a blind setup and invited me and another buddy to his Duck camp this year. I took what I knew from Goose and applied it to Duck since we are all pretty green I felt like I had the most knowledge and experience and I feel like we were "successfull" Lots of opportunity to shoot ducks with many blunders through 3 days. I dropped a Bufflehead Hen opening morning. It righted itself and then dove, never to be seen again. WTF?? I guess it's a thing.

I also called in a flock of 10 Geese without a single goose decoy and the biggest blunder of them all is they flew straight at us and landed just outiside of our floating spread without anyone taking a single shot. Then they just slowly swam away out of range. I should have called "shoot em" but we blunder and learn. Sunday night was another blunder, called in multiple sets of 3, singles, etc and miss, miss, miss, miss. Well fast forward to our last hunt on Monday morning before heading back home I dropped a Wigeon Hen about 10 min into shooting time. My first Duck!! Not skunked and after not landing the Bufflehead Hen opening morning I was at ease. AND HOOKED!!

Crossing the Mighty Mac

Our boat and my buddy Kenny.

Camp

Sunrise Saturday September 24th Opener.

Wigeon Hen and my first duck

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Newish Waterfowl hunter here with my first Zone 1 opener. I've hunted Canada Goose in cut corn fields for many years but ducks on the water was all new to me. My buddy just got into Duck hunting last year, rigged his Jon boat with a blind setup and invited me and another buddy to his Duck camp this year. I took what I knew from Goose and applied it to Duck since we are all pretty green I felt like I had the most knowledge and experience and I feel like we were "successfull" Lots of opportunity to shoot ducks with many blunders through 3 days. I dropped a Bufflehead Hen opening morning. It righted itself and then dove, never to be seen again. WTF?? I guess it's a thing.

I also called in a flock of 10 Geese without a single goose decoy and the biggest blunder of them all is they flew straight at us and landed just outiside of our floating spread without anyone taking a single shot. Then they just slowly swam away out of range. I should have called "shoot em" but we blunder and learn. Sunday night was another blunder, called in multiple sets of 3, singles, etc and miss, miss, miss, miss. Well fast forward to our last hunt on Monday morning before heading back home I dropped a Wigeon Hen about 10 min into shooting time. My first Duck!! Not skunked and after not landing the Bufflehead Hen opening morning I was at ease. AND HOOKED!!

Crossing the Mighty Mac

Our boat and my buddy Kenny.

Camp

Sunrise Saturday September 24th Opener.

Wigeon Hen and my first duck

Were you hunting at Raber bay landing. Looks familiar.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts