Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zero in before it's time to lock 'n' load

BATH - There have been countless books, magazine articles and other treatises written about deer hunting, offering all manner of advice on all sorts of tricks that will help you bring home the venison this season. But as we stare opening day of the firearms deer season (Nov. 15) square in the kisser, the single best thing a deer hunter can do is the simplest: shoot in his gun.

I have no statistics to tell you how many guys get the shootin' iron out of the gun cabinet, toss it in the truck and head off to camp, but it is far more commonplace than it should be - because it should never happen at all.

It takes just a few minutes (less if you live out in the country) to make sure you are hitting where you are aiming. And if it takes any longer than that, well, it's a darn good thing you took the time to find out then, isn't it?

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008811070329

·
Banned
12,126 Posts
I live about five minutes from our club. I'm out shooting about once a month or so. More often when it's warmer, but I just went three times in the last two weeks with my muzzleloader and shotgun. Muzzleloader is zeroed at 150 yards and the shotgun at 100 yards. But man oh man are those sabot shotgun slugs expensive. Little over $2 a round. Been through four boxes making sure the gun shoots where I aim and getting used to the trigger pull and recoil again on the shotgun.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
went out today to make sure the 870 super mag was still good. shooting just a bit high at 50. its sighted in for 70. i was gonna sight it in for 50 but it was just to nasty out. but i still went out with my bow:lol: but i had warm clothes on :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just got a new mossberg 500 today the first thing i did was hit the range for a sighting =) shot off a couple boxes to get a little used to it and plan to go back a few more times before the opener

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Been sighted in for several weeks now......a lot will wait until the 14th...:dizzy::16suspect:rant::lol:

·
Registered
322 Posts
went to the DNR range at Rose Lake a few times over the past few weeks and hasnt been very busy. Talked to the range officers last weekend, they said numbers are down. They typically see around 300 or so, on a weekend day, and they have only been seeing 130 people now. Glad I went I bumped the scope the last time cleaning it and was off a few inches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts