Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is a solution to the problem or if it could even be managed. I do know that in the rivers and streams that flow into lakes Huron and Michigan in the UP, if there is a significant amount of Tannic Acid in them the mussels will not be present. On the lakefront where the river enters the lake you will not find any mussels either. The same goes for the quagga mussels. There is something about the tannic acid that these mussels do not like. I also know if the acid level gets too high the spawning fish will stay out in the lakes until it mellows out a bit.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
there's probably not enough calcium carbonate for them to make their shells... watersheds with tannic waters don't have very much calcium in the water and the mussels can't make their shells

I think I've heard a lot of northern Canadian and Minnesota lakes, and possibly Superior, just don't have enough of the right water chemistry to support the mussels.

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
More likely those rivers aren't traveled by boats, and nobody has spread the Mussels to them by using boats that were used in waters that have Mussels.

And, truthfully, the Quagga Mussels are a much larger problem than Zebra Mussels. Zeebs came first, but over 98% of the Mussels in lake Michigan are Quaggas, at this point. There are lots of rivers in the lower peninsula which have water that is tannin stained, and they have plenty of Mussels. The Big Man is a classic example. Lots of bayous, and swamps along its way, and it is infested. Rivers which have barrier dams have lakes above those dams. And people boat on those lakes. And some of them bring boats that have been in Mussel-infected waters. The Mussels get discharged from the motor in the un-infected water, and suddenly it is infected. Then they go through the dam, and the entire lower river will become infected.

I am guessing that the upper Big Manistee River, and upper Ausable River do not have Mussels; while the stretches below the highest barrier dams do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts