Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the upcoming season quickly approaching, what do you think about the Youth Hunt?

Here are my thoughts. Personally I am against the Youth Hunt, for many reasons. First of let me start by saying that I have two young boys and I am all for getting our youth more involved in the outdoors. But, I don't see the advantages of a Youth Hunt. How does that help with getting our youth involved? If parents keep their kids actively involved in the outdoors, more then likely they will in turn be active in the outdoors. So for that reason I feel that the Youth Hunt is not needed. Further more, if there is to be an early hunt why not make it for our elders? Some one who has spent many hunting season in the cold weather, but now can no longer take the cold? I did not need a youth hunt to get me involved. I also think that some people may be abusing the rights to the Youth Hunt.

Can some one answer me this why is there a Youth Hunt and what are the advantages to the Youth Hunt?

Thanks for letting me vent.:D

·
Registered
290 Posts
With the upcoming season quickly approaching, what do you think about the Youth Hunt?

Here are my thoughts. Personally I am against the Youth Hunt, for many reasons. First of let me start by saying that I have two young boys and I am all for getting our youth more involved in the outdoors. But, I don't see the advantages of a Youth Hunt. How does that help with getting our youth involved? If parents keep their kids actively involved in the outdoors, more then likely they will in turn be active in the outdoors. So for that reason I feel that the Youth Hunt is not needed. Further more, if there is to be an early hunt why not make it for our elders? Some one who has spent many hunting season in the cold weather, but now can no longer take the cold? I did not need a youth hunt to get me involved. I also think that some people may be abusing the rights to the Youth Hunt.

I agree. My kids are grown and I took them on the youth hunt. But it did not turn them into hunters any more than if they would not have gone. The best times they had hunting were during the regular bow or gun season when everybody was at deer camp.

OTOH, I don't like to take away hunting opportunities once they're in place. We should be looking to expand hunting sesons not reduce them.

So, maybe we should just leave well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Dave,

Personally I am all for it. I respect your opinion but here is mine.

1.) It is nicer that time of year which makes it easier on the kids. Besides the weather it is much less crowded on public land which is a huge bonus IMHO.

2.) The parents/gaurdians etc. are on their hunt which gaurantees undivided attention and a great sense of responsibility for the kids since they are not just "tagging along".

3.) I do not buy the "people abuse it theory". If we cancelled seasons or hunts due to this reason none of us would ever hunt again. Violators don't need a season to break the law. They will break it anyways.

4.) I feel it has opened up doors for many non-hunting family's kids (notice I did not say anti). I personally have taken a boy whose family does not hunt and know of many who have also done this. I probably would not have extended the same courtesy to him on Nov. 15th. Maybe selfish on my part but true.

FWIW I would fully support an "elderly" hunt.

Best of luck to you this season and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts

Can some one answer me this why is there a Youth Hunt and what are the advantages to the Youth Hunt?

Why let kids play T-ball when they are young, let's just start them out swinging at a 90 mile an hour fast ball? Or why give them swimmies and start them out in the shallow end, why not just throw them in the deepend and say swim or die? Obviously I am joking but can't you see it's all about progressions. Start the youngster out early and give them a better than average chance to be successful! If a kid is successful they are much more likely to latch on to whatever it is they are doing from school work to deer hunting. Add to that the one on one time with a parental role model who is dedicating themselves 100% to the experience their child has in the field. Learning to take ethical shots, positive reinforcement after a miss and any other positve interactions that can take place between the gaurdian and the youth where the youth, for lack of better words, is the center of attention.

I can't see a downside. Thankfully there was a youth hunt established and now there is what you could call an elderly hunt as well and we can call it early antlerless season.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Dave,

1.) It is nicer that time of year which makes it easier on the kids. Besides the weather it is much less crowded on public land which is a huge bonus IMHO.
Isnt the youth hunt restricted to "private" land only?

CB

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Nope the youth hunt is open to all lands both private AND public.
Wow and here I was already making plans for my son to hunt private land only.. This will be awesome, now I can let my son sit in my "hot spot" on public land and enjoy what I enjoy sitting there in November.

Thanks
CB

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Do a search and you will find pages and pages of reading material on this subject.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Wow and here I was already making plans for my son to hunt private land only.. This will be awesome, now I can let my son sit in my "hot spot" on public land and enjoy what I enjoy sitting there in November.

Thanks
CB
CB,

It is age dependant. I am not sure what age your talking about. From the DNR webpage.

Youth Firearm and 100% Disabled Veteran Firearm Deer Hunting Days, Sept. 27-28, 2008

There will be a youth and 100% disabled veteran firearm deer season Sept. 27-28, 2008, on all lands in Michigan. A youth 10-16 years of age with a combination license or a youth 12-16 years of age with a firearm license may taken antlered or antlerless deer during this special two-day season. An antlerless license or a Deer Management Assistance permit, if issued for the area/land upon which hunting, is valid for only antlerless deer. Archery and junior archery deer licenses are not valid for this hunt. The bag limit for this season is one deer. A firearm or combination license is valid for any deer in this season.

Youths 10 and 11 years of age are restricted to archery-only hunting. Youths 12 and 13 may hunt with a firearm on private land only, including lands enrolled in the Commercial Forest program. The youth must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age or older. An adult accompanying a youth firearm deer hunter cannot possess or carry a firearm or bow and arrow and does not need a deer hunting license. Hunters may not use bait during this season. All youth hunters are required to wear hunter orange.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
CB,

It is age dependant. I am not sure what age your talking about. From the DNR webpage.

Youth Firearm and 100% Disabled Veteran Firearm Deer Hunting Days, Sept. 27-28, 2008

There will be a youth and 100% disabled veteran firearm deer season Sept. 27-28, 2008, on all lands in Michigan. A youth 10-16 years of age with a combination license or a youth 12-16 years of age with a firearm license may taken antlered or antlerless deer during this special two-day season. An antlerless license or a Deer Management Assistance permit, if issued for the area/land upon which hunting, is valid for only antlerless deer. Archery and junior archery deer licenses are not valid for this hunt. The bag limit for this season is one deer. A firearm or combination license is valid for any deer in this season.

Youths 10 and 11 years of age are restricted to archery-only hunting. Youths 12 and 13 may hunt with a firearm on private land only, including lands enrolled in the Commercial Forest program. The youth must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age or older. An adult accompanying a youth firearm deer hunter cannot possess or carry a firearm or bow and arrow and does not need a deer hunting license. Hunters may not use bait during this season. All youth hunters are required to wear hunter orange.
My son just turned 12.. He didnt archery hunt prior to this because he really had no interest in it so this year will actually be his first time deer hunting. I had always thought the youth hunt was restricted to private land but I see it says "on all lands in Michigan".

Does hunting "on all lands in Michigan" include hunting your property too :lol:

CB

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
The advantage is the opportunity for DAD to take the kid out hunting and make it all about the kid. Its not dad and kid hunting it is the kid hunting while dad oversees the events. In todays world many are so busy they get only a few days to hunt thats it. This way they can still enjoy THIER hunting while haveing the opportunity for the child to have THIER time as well.

I for one am not pulling my kids out of school for deer camp yet. Also they are a little young for deer camp at this time but a youth hunt is a perfect chance for them to have their time with dad in the woods and not worry about freezing in an hour.

Ganzer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess for me the youth hunt just seems point less. I am a huge hunter as most of us on here are. Now, none of use had a youth hunt and look at us, we all still love to hunt. As for my two boys (6 and 4) they both join me in my hunts (weather permitting). Now I understand that there has been studies done that have shown a decline in the amount of young participating in the outdoors. Do we honestly believe that a youth hunt will help? Why in the last few years has there been a drop in the youth being involved in the outdoors, that should be are first question. Not trying to use a youth hunt to encourage kids to become hunters. I think the real problem is with the parents not spending time with their children, not taking them away from their video games, TV, and things of that nature. Well that's it for now. Good luck to all in this up coming season including the youth.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
[/quote]Dave,

2.) The parents/gaurdians etc. are on their hunt which gaurantees undivided attention and a great sense of responsibility for the kids since they are not just "tagging along".

3.) I do not buy the "people abuse it theory". If we cancelled seasons or hunts due to this reason none of us would ever hunt again. Violators don't need a season to break the law. They will break it anyways.

4.) I feel it has opened up doors for many non-hunting family's kids (notice I did not say anti). I personally have taken a boy whose family does not hunt and know of many who have also done this. I probably would not have extended the same courtesy to him on Nov. 15th. Maybe selfish on my part but true.

FWIW I would fully support an "elderly" hunt.

Best of luck to you this season and welcome to the site.[/quote]

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Daveross, I also agree with you 100%, And for the one who posted that everyone is to busy so the youth hunt is for kids and regular season is for the parents, since they only get a few days so they want to hunt without their children. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM WITH TODAYS YOUTH.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Cannot hurt effort to get more youth involved. Better weather and improved chance to bag a deer only helps.

Nice thing is if someone doesn't like it/support it, they don't have to hunt then/take their kid hunting.

Swamper

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
There isn't one adverse effect I can see from allowing kids to hunt exclusively one weekend out of the year. Not one. Of course there are going to be those that may begrudge them this opportunity based on their own selfish reasons but that's to be expected. My youngest boy has talked about nothing else since he found out he was invited to participate in this hunt. That is PRICELESS and something that can only be deemed as a positive for the future of hunting.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
As I have young boys and two young brothers I am all for it. My one younger brother and I have went the past two seasons and the youngest is ready for this season. I think it is great. It's not too cold out so they can sit still for more hours on stand, we see more deer because they are not pressured yet, so he can take his time and wait for a easy shot. And like someone mentioned, I cannot hunt so the entire time is revolved around him, I have a little more time to teach him things. It is my favorite weekend of the fall. I just hope they still have it when my sons are of age. I have come to realize, that most that oppose it do it for selfish reasons.(not all, but most). Firing a shot or two a couple weeks before the season isn't gonna send all the bucks running for the next county.:dizzy: Just my opinions.

·
Registered
36,731 Posts
The question shouldn't be why it should be why not. I don't believe that I've read a post that answers the question why not.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts