Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, since I haven't been 12 yrs old in awhile, and my oldest just turned 12, I'm not at all up to speed on these youth hunt rules. I know they have a special weekend for the youth hunt (Sept 27-28). Can my 12 year old also go hunting during the regular gun season (11/15-11/30)? I assume he can, but do I have to be with him - just like the youth hunt rules? TIA.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
OK, since I haven't been 12 yrs old in awhile, and my oldest just turned 12, I'm not at all up to speed on these youth hunt rules. I know they have a special weekend for the youth hunt (Sept 27-28). Can my 12 year old also go hunting during the regular gun season (11/15-11/30)? I assume he can, but do I have to be with him - just like the youth hunt rules? TIA.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_14518-32244--,00.html
Hunters can be licensed at age 10. A hunter must be at least 12 years old to hunt deer, bear or elk with a firearm. Hunters age 12-13 may hunt deer, bear or elk with a firearm only on private land, including lands enrolled in the Commercial Forest program. Exception: Everyone 10 or older is required to have a license to hunt when participating in a bear or bobcat hunt with dogs.
To obtain a regular hunting license, your parent or guardian must accompany you to a license agent. You must fill out an application and present your Michigan hunter safety certificate at this time. For information on hunter safety classes, contact the nearest DNR Operations Service Centeror search online.
Hunters under age 17, when afield, other than on land where their parent or guardian lives, must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or someone 18 or older designated by their parent or guardian. "Accompanied by" requires the adult to be able to come to the immediate aid of the other person and staying within a distance from the other person that permits uninterrupted, unaided visual and verbal contact.
The minimum age requirements for all licenses are listed with the License Fees. Nonresidents under the age of 17 may purchase resident and junior licenses.
Junior archery deer hunting, junior combination deer, junior small game, and junior fur harvester licenses are available to resident and nonresident hunters, ages 10-16, and grant the same privileges as the adult licenses.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_14518-32244--,00.html
Hunters can be licensed at age 10. A hunter must be at least 12 years old to hunt deer, bear or elk with a firearm. Hunters age 12-13 may hunt deer, bear or elk with a firearm only on private land, including lands enrolled in the Commercial Forest program. Exception: Everyone 10 or older is required to have a license to hunt when participating in a bear or bobcat hunt with dogs.
To obtain a regular hunting license, your parent or guardian must accompany you to a license agent. You must fill out an application and present your Michigan hunter safety certificate at this time. For information on hunter safety classes, contact the nearest DNR Operations Service Centeror search online.
Hunters under age 17, when afield, other than on land where their parent or guardian lives, must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or someone 18 or older designated by their parent or guardian. "Accompanied by" requires the adult to be able to come to the immediate aid of the other person and staying within a distance from the other person that permits uninterrupted, unaided visual and verbal contact.
The minimum age requirements for all licenses are listed with the License Fees. Nonresidents under the age of 17 may purchase resident and junior licenses.
Junior archery deer hunting, junior combination deer, junior small game, and junior fur harvester licenses are available to resident and nonresident hunters, ages 10-16, and grant the same privileges as the adult licenses.
Dang, your quick...:lol:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That does not make any sense to me why is it a 13 year old can hunt with a firearm on private land but not state? If they are accompanied by an adult they should be able to hunt state, not everyone has access to private land and to say they can't hunt with a firearm because they don't have private land to hunt seems a little like discrimination in my opinion. What is the logic behind this?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That does not make any sense to me why is it a 13 year old can hunt with a firearm on private land but not state? If they are accompanied by an adult they should be able to hunt state, not everyone has access to private land and to say they can't hunt with a firearm because they don't have private land to hunt seems a little like discrimination in my opinion. What is the logic behind this?
Just guessing, but maybe some kind of safety issue. In other words, they maybe figure less people are roaming around your land that you don't know about, but on state land, there could be a guy behind very tree.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
But if they are accompanied by an adult I don't see why that would be a problem. Last year before we moved north we hunted land in Genesee Co. where we lived and my son hunted with a firearm ,now we live up here and don't have access to private land so now I have to tell my 13 year old son he can't hunt with a firearm this year. I guess I didn't read the rules right last year because I didn't realize he couldn't hunt public land, just lucky we were on private I guess. Boy am I glad i read this post!!

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Oh well he'll just have to get his with a bow, he's been practicing so he will be fine, maybe we'll make the trip down state and hunt our old stomping grounds for the youth hunt and a couple days of firearms. (the bucks are bigger down there anyways);)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts