Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 12 y/o daughter hunting for her first time over the weekend. She has never shown an interest in hunting of her own, although she has tolerated a few trips out with me over the years. When she said she wanted to try the youth hunt, I was ecstatic, but kept it reserved, wanting it to be about her, not me.

Leading up to this weekend, we had to go to Gander Mountain for shells, something she usually would shun. We took a drive up north a week ahead to shoot the deer rifle. She proved to be a decent shot with a .22 (1.5" group at 40 paces w/ open sights), but was I surprised when she put 2 shots on the bullseye with the .308....touching each other! When we bought her license, she declined getting a doe permit, stating, "Dad, it's my first deer, I want a buck". Like it was a no-brainer. She was slightly bummed when she found out the license was only good for one buck (the high hopes of a beginner!).

We hit the woods Saturday AM and evening. Not a deer to be seen. We got up at 5:30 this morning, and she asked if we could sleep in. I gave her the choice, and she decided we'd go since it was our last chance. Once again, a very slow morning. On the adjoining property, someone was riding about on an ORV. They kicked 3 deer our way, a spike, doe, and a 4pt. As deer that have been bumped do, they appeared and trotted through very quickly. She had the gun up and was looking for the lead deer when the trailing 4 pt paused for a few seconds broadside at 50 yds. He moved into the thicket before she could readjust. I am certain of what would have happened if she had 5 more seconds!

One weekend. Cold toes. Not enough sleep. No buck. And a daughter who just said, as she headed to bed, that she wants to do this again.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
When they say "I want to do it again" You "done did good"!!:D

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
That's about how the hunt with my 12 y/o son went. We did varied types of hunting, blind, modified still hunting,(to fast) & gentle push drives with help from partner. We saw about 8 deer & there was a chance or 2 but it's takes a little more time for a 12y/o to get set up for the shot. No shots were fired at deer. We both learned some stuff & will probably be out for the WI youth hunt in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
You most definitely did right by letting her set the pace, my daughter never took an interest until she turned 18! She is now my hunting partner and we are never closer then when the hunting season comes around!! Did you know that bows and rifles come in the color pink?????? Good luck.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You most definitely did right by letting her set the pace, my daughter never took an interest until she turned 18! She is now my hunting partner and we are never closer then when the hunting season comes around!! Did you know that bows and rifles come in the color pink?????? Good luck.
If all I ever get was the one weekend, I'll die a contented man!

That's great that they make 'em like that now. When my first daughter was young they didn't have them, so I bought her a bow and painted it pink and white!

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Congrats jc. That's a great story. My son and I also had a GREAT weekend without a kill. He actually did get a couple of shots off but with the excitement of the hunt and such he ended up missing both deer. That made for a few depressing moments for him but only made him more determined to succeed by getting more practice and learning as much as he can for future hunts. All in all it was a great weekend for all the youths that were out hunting instead of sitting in front of the boob tube. I'm just as excited about him WANTING to do this again as he is in getting the itch.;)

Congrats to all youth hunters (and of course to those people that took the time to get them out into the woods)!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts