Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Took my neighbors boy out for the youth season he had a blast.

Hen Widgeon and a Honker, real slow morning. Dis see one massive migrating flock of geese and several smaller flocks, just couldn't seem to coax 'em in.

Post up your pics here too!

·
Registered
11,078 Posts

Well a buddy and I had a boat load of fun this morning with some neighborhood kids. He filmed the whole endeavor. He and I had an extended safety talk with the kids to make sure everyone understood the rules seeings that only one had ever waterfowl hunted. We saw a bunch of geese 200+ and managed to decoy four flocks resulting in four dead geese. The geese were coming from a Amish pond about a mile away to the west, the birds would get off drop air and lock but due to the west wind they had to come over the blinds to decoy and as a result the larger flocks flared a little. There was very little stubble in the field.
Each kid had a grin ear to ear when flocks decoyed and each kid shot 8-10 times at birds inside 25 yards. Heck at say 36-40 rounds and four dead geese, that is better than some of the adults I hunt with. ROTFLMAO
The highlight of the morning was when I took the youngest 11 shooting a 20g SxS out to shoot a cripple. I got him about ten feet from it, and told him to shoot it. Feathers exploded LOL He was so happy he couldnt stand it. The lil fellar wanted to shoot everything that came in the field pigeons, crows, tweety birds, cranes etc etc He is gonna be a killer.
I would take the kids again in heartbeat it was a whole boat load of fun and I think beardbuster would agree.
The youngest boy Adam took a bet for ten dollars to french Kiss a goose. He is ten dollars richer. ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Youth hunt was a blast.... but to bad the kid couldnt get more shots off... With a good amount of ducks decoying and landing and none down :dizzy::lol:.... But we had some good laughs, and I know he learned a ton too... Oh well maybe shia tomorrow I now know this day was better that most if not all the days I have spent afield so far.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
try to get pics up tommoroow of both days but 3 first times this morning took 4 teal and 3 woodies, 2 honkers as well. All of them shot 35-40 shells and they had a blast. Try to post pics after tommorows return.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
I took two out and between them, they managed to down three mallards and three teal.

(of course, as we were packing up, a pair of geese flew by! managed to turn them and they were looking for the birds on the water, but they must've seen the boys scrambling to get the guns out of the cases! :lol:

they thought that was "cool"!! :p )

the other thing I really love about the youth hunt is that it makes for a great pre-season "shake down" / tune-up before things get rolling.

a great time to concentrate on the dog work vs. trying to shoot everything. Here's a pic of our other youth we took out on her first hunt - my young pup "Mags".

(got her mark)

Happy Pup!

Had a visitor come out and join us too! the MDNR photographer was taking some pics of the youth hunters. (I hope to get his images - he said he had a bunch of great shots of the kids.)

~~~~~~~~~

I want to also publicly acknowledge all the GDHA members/supporters that helped set up, guide and run the youth hunt down at Pt. Mouillee. In Particular, Matt (Duck Commander). I know he spends alot of time putting this thing together and it's always well run. Kudos to you Matt!!

and then to all the other guys n' gals that put forth so much effort to make sure the kids had a great time and left the event with a bunch... and I mean a BUNCH of free gear!

Nice Job.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Wow guys ! Just super great pics of everyone having a great time. Gave a goose a french kiss ?......lmao A pat on the back for all of you lucky guys.
Fine looking pup you have there Mr. Branta ? Mighty fine indeed. Loved the stare of concentration. Those big browns are locked onto something for sure........:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nice pictures guys! We practiced catch and release. My Nephew got about 12 shots but couldn't connect. Did anyone else notice the youth hunts are always cold in the middle of sept. so he is ready to go early, then for the season opener in oct. it gets up to 90 degrees. We did have fun though.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Sorry for no pics but I took them on a disposable and havent developed them yet. But what a great weekend my 11 year old had. He shot his first 2 mallards yesterday and got a mallard and a goose today. He shot it using my dads 1979 Citori that he handed down to me.

Thanks DNR for this great weekend!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
who took the time to put smiles on kids faces. Especially those who took kids belonging to someone else. Dedicated folks like you are the heart and soul of our sport.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Had a wonderful opening to the 2008 Waterfowl season with my Godson Tyler. He woke up at 4:30 saying that he never slept because he was to excited (I didn't tell him, but me to:p).

Trippin Dipsies and I took him out to a spot in the St. Clair Flats and frankly we didn't anticipate much because Mother Nature wasn't cooperating. Got the dekes set up, buried the boat and it was time to hunker down and await our first shots.

We where buzzed by a couple Ducks- fist one was a Ring Bill that blasted through the dekes and never got a shot. The 2nd was a Green wing and Tyler couldn't get the bead on him in time. We then called in a couple of geese that made it to about 25 yards. Tyler got up and fired away- Miss/ Miss/ Miss. He then missed on another Mallard entering the dekes and his spirit was diminishing.

All of a sudden out of the fog came a pair of Widgeon. Tyler stood up and dumped the first one on the first shot- followed up and missed on the second.

His first duck and it is a Drake Widgeon (I think I was more excited then he was).

We had a couple more opportunities throughout the morning and he ended up with 5 Ducks down. However, our rusty noses lost one in the thick stuff. Tyler ended up with 2 Drake Widgeons and 2 Drake Mallards.

We had a great time. Thanks to Chad (aka- Trippin Dipsies) for the help and support of getting Tyler Energetic about waterfowl hunting and thanks to Bogey for allowing us to use his boat.

·
Registered
645 Posts
LOL....I think Tyler is hooked!!!! I remember the smile type. Good job to all that took the kids out, I remember the days when I was out there with the boys who are now all grown.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Nice pics BMT. Sounds like a great time. I miss it already. Two years since I took my son and nephews. Son #2 just isn't in to hunting. He'd rather play football.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i will tell you what seeing all these pics are making me jealous and wanting to get out and hunt. Good job to all the youngins that got out and congrats to the ones that got there ducks

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Youth 1 had a football game Saturday. Youth 2 just turned 16, Youth 3 was injured from football game Thursday. Youth 4, parents went to Florida. Took my 5 and 7 year old out to shoot a doe Saturday morning. Didn't hear a whole lot of shooting out in Shiawassee Saturday morning. Took a ride around the flats and found the hole. No one was hunting it. Called a friend to let him know where to go. He took 4 youths out to it this morning. They ended up with 18 ducks and 2 geese. Two of the mallards were banded.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sorry no pics the "puter" is broken. Had a great time with my two boys and there two friends. Had a great shoot and ended up getting 2 geese and 14 ducks. bwt, gwt, mallards, gadwall and a banded hen woodie:coolgleam...Oh yeah and a ton of missed shots and opportunities. Boys had a great time and I can't wait to get them out again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts