Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now question the youth hunt?? In my area it is all about Dad the trophy hunter watching his big buck and having his kid shoot it. This was not the initial plan, it was for a young hunter to just shoot the first deer. Perhaps we say youth hunt 4 pts or less? Thoughts?

Registered
At least they had to stop at one deer per child this year. WE ALL KNOW the person that is "deer crazy" and shoots a big buck if they can legally get away with it. Should be obvious with a ten year old kid shooting a 12 gage with 3" shells. I think they should be shooting anterless only for the mindset and future training of shooting anterless. Not like the majority of US that will only shoot multiple points on the head unless we are starving for Venison.

Reactions: Mi Friend

Registered
I now question the youth hunt?? In my area it is all about Dad the trophy hunter watching his big buck and having his kid shoot it. This was not the initial plan, it was for a young hunter to just shoot the first deer. Perhaps we say youth hunt 4 pts or less? Thoughts?
The idea was to make the weekend all about the kid. Dad doesnt hunt and he only focuses on the kid having a great time and being successful. It also allows the kid to hunt duing a time when no other hunters are in the woods and the weather is comfortable. If he shoots a monster it is nothing but a bonus.

Ideally the youth hunt should give a kid a positive memory of hunting. A big buck and all the attention behind that will do it. We can argue all day about whether or not the kid will continue to hunt. I beleive it has to help some with recruitment but obviously not all kids who try it will continue. However that lasting impression and positive experience can only help us hunters in the future. People like to cherish their experiences and memories. Someday when that non hunting kid who went hunting one weekend is faced with a voting decision or an argument with an anti hunter he is far more likely to defend our cause....even if he isnt an avid hunter.

A hunter who tries to put down the youth hunt and publicly bashes it can only hurt our cause. It does nothing positive for the sport.

Registered
At least they had to stop at one deer per child this year. WE ALL KNOW the person that is "deer crazy" and shoots a big buck if they can legally get away with it. Should be obvious with a ten year old kid shooting a 12 gage with 3" shells. I think they should be shooting anterless only for the mindset and future training of shooting anterless. Not like the majority of US that will only shoot multiple points on the head unless we are starving for Venison.
Straw man argument. The deer crazed guy who poaches will poach anyway. He doesn't need the youth hunt.

Youth hunt has always had a 1 deer limit.

Registered
Yeah, that.. If your a grown man and haven't shot enough deer in your life that a youth killing a deer before yourself doesn't make ya smile....well then ya should be a better hunter..

The day when my daughter finally "if she does" ever get serious about hunting I could care less to kill another.. Unless she can't kill 2, then I'll have to step in and help ;) & she can kill whatever her little heart desires.

Registered
Youth. Hunt.

If you're anti kill bucks based on the majority of us's attitudes, then how about anyone not participating in the youth hunt is allowed to kill antlerless only?
It's not a kid with the problem /perspective in your /our case....

Where abuse of a season occurs , it's not accurate to attribute the season as flawed.
My peeve has long been poaching. Including being face to face with an officer detailing the who when and where to wait while pointing at the house and giving a hour time frame to wait.
As the majority of poaching complaints in the area were handled , nothing was done.

Property behind shooting "his" two bucks at night , pre -season. "Get em before the city people" was his motto. Did he need a youth hunt? Nope.
A resident waiting to vote boasting his season was done early as usual. With a rifle. No , not youth , not disabled , and not archery. The clerks didn't look too impressed. Like he cared.

The guy who was warned , and laughing said he switched to crossbow at night. (Pre crossbow being legal , though being at night poaching voids any equipment argument. Just quieter is all.)

Button buck , maybe 25 lbs. on it's emaciated body , flopping around on my land. No way he had traveled far.
Bullet hole suggested he was shot , not vehicle hit. But no one was shooting fawns on the private borders.

I'll cheer the legal youth. Just as much if it's "my" big buck. Maybe than can beat the poachers....
Those I been following offline have been mostly doe. One did kill his first buck this year.
Clean kills are my idea of getting youth started killing deer.
IF they shoot.
I'm not too concerned the sex and age of a deer for them if legal.
If it's something Dad would kill when he's legal, so what? The kid is supposed to do the opposite because it might affect someone else's chances?

Registered
i do wonder once the youth seasons are over and the youths actually have to hunt archery, november firearm season, leave the sport because they are used to the previous instant success

Just curious because i often wonder, if sitting over a bean field in the summer with a rifle is actually has reverse effects of recruitment once they get more real world hunting in.

Registered
4pts or less? Why wouldn't we want those deer to live a couple more years? If less of those 4pts or less died each year you would have a better deer herd and you would worry less about what the neighborhood kids are shooting. Myself personally, I take my nephew out for the youth hunt. He is welcome to shoot whatever he likes. And that's how it should be. It should be about letting these kids learn the tradition that we all learned to love and cherish. Not about what they shoot or don't shoot. My nephew hunts hard with us during rifle season and late antlerless as well, but I am glad he gets a chance on unpressured deer during the youth hunt. It makes it easier for me to help coach him through the situations.

Registered
My grand daughter had four bucks within 50 yards of her on opening morning. One was an 8, one a 7 and two smaller bucks. Her Dad told her to wait for the biggest buck to step out and before he could finish the statement, she pulled the trigger on the 7 pointer. No waiting when she's see a deer that's in the shooting lane. She just loves killing deer. Not big bucks, just bucks. While I know there are dad's that may want it to be about them, not the kids, it's definitely the exception not the rule. I'm glad they moved the youth hunt to mid September. Keeps it a little further from the opener archery hunt.

Registered
The youth hunt was never about the kids. It was so dad didn't have to "waste" his season teaching kids to hunt.

The youth hunt was never about the kids. It was so dad didn't have to "waste" his season teaching kids to hunt.
Huh?

Many of us grew up shooting guns and bows and all kinds of small game. Deer hunting is a little different but not where it takes a ton of teaching if the kid has been exposed to hunting a their lives.

Registered
i do wonder once the youth seasons are over and the youths actually have to hunt archery, november firearm season, leave the sport because they are used to the previous instant success

Just curious because i often wonder, if sitting over a bean field in the summer with a rifle is actually has reverse effects of recruitment once they get more real world hunting in.
First of all, in much of the State, it's NOT instant success. May seem that way if you are hunting AG, in the SLP, but try it out in the Big Woods of the NLP or UP, and let me know how that goes!

Secondly, it really doesn't matter how many "stay" in the sport long term.....either way, they are likely to support hunting, and not become anti's.

Finally, if a grown Man begrudge the Youth hunt, because some kid might kill a "shooter" before he has a chance, well....

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 20 of 55 Posts