Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my 11 yr old nephew out next weekend for his second hunt ever. What should I expect during a youth hunt(# of people, # of ducks around, predrawing?)? I've been to fish pt alot but never for a youth hunt and I'd like to get some nice easy shots for him. Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
106 Posts
It will be like a regular hunt drawing. Plenty of birds, but no water in the fields (unless this weather put it there). I don't know if ever a duck is an easy shot!!!!! Another thing is, that if he is the only hunter he will be considered a single and have to wait for all parties to pick fields first.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 5, We might just go out on the bay infront of FP. I have a couple buddies who want to tag along and watch and I know you can only have 2 adults. I'll post pics after were done. well hopefully there will be birds to take pictures of.
Jason

·
Registered
963 Posts
I also have an 11 yr old and want to go on Sat. morning. I was told the # of adults does not count. But I am looking for another youth to buddy with my son for the better draw. I have a coworker that scouted the area today and has been there before. Wants to bring his dog and some kids. PM me.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You guys should get together if possible it will make a big difference in the spot you get to pick. Usually there are around 20 parties. There will be a lot of single hunters and even if they get drawn first you will get priority on the party areas. If they get anything flooded it is usually the teens 14-19. They will tell you at the check station what fields are flooded. You can call ahead of time if you want. If you cannot get a flooded field and you want water there are 3-4 marsh areas with water and blinds. There is some walking for these. You always get a few birds in these blinds with a good possibility for geese. You will be right next to the refuge. There is also a singles area marsh. They call it a scramble zone because you can hunt anywhere in the area and it is first come first serve. Also a good walk. You can also hunt dry fields and most likely get geese. We got a bad draw in the morning once and took a pass so we could draw in the PM. We hunted the scramble marsh and it was quite good. 3 ducks 3 kids and they missed a lot. Then we got in the afternoon draw and got a few more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts