Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
One of these set up properly is a great shooting aid for the kids. It eats up some of the recoil and provides a very steady rest. My kids have used it with the 450 and xbow.
Little big and heavy but it has been great for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
47,853 Posts
I would go .350 legend in a youth model and not even think twice. I have a compact Savage Axis II and a compact Winchester XPR for my kids and they're both great guns. Have a .450 as well and I find they enjoy shooting the .350 a lot more.
This is what I'd do personally. Youth model 350 legend.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hello...

Just looking for feedback for this year's youth hunt. My son, who is 11, has shot his .410 quite a bit for small game. I'd hate to use the .410 with a rifled slug not sure if it'll do the job, but wondering what is best suited for deer during youth hunt.

So my question is this, what rifles have you used for your youth child (10-11 y/o) while deer hunting? We'll be hunting in Zone 3.

Also, the challenge I have is him being a little guy, not all rifles are seated properly for him to take aim. Do you scope it for them, and ask them to pull the trigger? Just looking for sound advice from the folks who have done this before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought my son a 350L, because it's a pain finding 44 mag ammo for his CVA. Plus the price of it has gone up considerably.
I just bought my son a 350L, because it's a pain finding 44 mag ammo for his CVA. Plus the price of it has gone up considerably.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My daughter was very recoil sensitive. I don't know if she will ever change. I bought a Henry .357 and put a vortex 2x7 on it. Shoot a lot of 38 specials out of it with recoil being a tad bit more than a 22. Can shoot a lot of ammo from a deer rifle without breaking the bank. Run some hot .357's for hunting. Taken two deer with it and at ranges under 50 yards it works really well. Both piled up.
I enjoy it so much that I take it when I go by myself a lot. Can shoot right hand or left hand with it and can watch the point of impact in the scope

This was before the 350 Legend came out, but I'd still go this route again. For the money, Henry's are pretty nice.
Can always get it reamed out for the .357 max.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Centerpoint Amped 425!!!

Good for Youth hunt, archery & firearm season. View attachment 847201
You know, that's not a bad idea; one weapon that can be used September through December, no recoil and no noise, fun to shoot and can be shot for practice nearly anywhere and any time. Only downside I can think of is range.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
You know, that's not a bad idea; one weapon that can be used September through December, no recoil and no noise, fun to shoot and can be shot for practice nearly anywhere and any time. Only downside I can think of is range.
When u hunt the Jungle there's no such thing as a far shot 😎

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I'd have to agree with the 350L option for a young youth. If that's more recoil than desired, thread the muzzle and brake it. Nothing wrong with teaching a youth to wear ear protection for the shot when hunting. Savage is a great design rifle for a switch barrel set up. I have a switch barrel set up and love it. Purchase a shouldered Centerfire Cartridge for future hunts in other zones or other states. Lots of barrel options for savage switch barrel setups.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
350 Legend is the clear choice for a recoil sensitive shooter in zone 3. Better terminal perfomance and ballistics than any pistol caliber like .44 mag or .357, but only marginally more recoil than a .223. In addition, you can get one in an AR-15 platform rifle, which has less recoil than any bolt action by design. I'd build him an AR with a 16" lightweight barrel, MLOK handguard, adjustable gas block, VLTOR customizable buffer system (this really helps with recoil) with a Tubbs flatwire rifle spring, muzzle brake, a nice stock with a good cheek weld (I reccomend the LaRue tactical RAT stock), and a nice trigger (I recommend the LaRue MBT for a good budget option). Tune the gas block and the recoil will be barely noticeable.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
.350 Legend is the best choice for young, small framed shooters in zone 3 and in my opinion it's not even close.

Bought my son a Savage Axis last year in .350 Legend and it was perfect. He was 10 years old and not that big of a kid. I personally wouldn't even mess too much with the youth models, the LOP on the regular version is relatively short and my son handled it just fine. Almost no recoil to those guns. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience for the youngsters.
Face Smile Hunting Deer hunting Trophy hunting

21 - 40 of 71 Posts