Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...not on you, but near you on a tree. You look around for the source, and eventually see him: guy in a tree with a handheld laser pointer. What do you do?

I ask because I was settling in around 5:30 pm Monday in my climber on public land when some guy waltzed through below me. Went back off to my right making all kinds of noise, and 1/2 hour later waltzed back through. Trying to think of a quiet way to let him know where I am, without being too confrontational.

Would you freak out? Purposely try even harder to ruin the guy's hunt? Or respect his hunt and go a different direction?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Why not just shine him? A red dot could cause you some trouble. I always keep a piece of orange in my backpack for afternoons.

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
Fire a warning shot? :lol::lol:

Seriously though - I agree with just using a flashlight.
<----<<<

·
Registered
880 Posts
Too far for shining, about 40 yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't have to light em up like a deer in headlights. :lol::lol: Just a couple pulses will let him know you are there. I don't think I ever came near 75 yards of a hunter with a light.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
First thought was, "someone is pointing a lazer sight at me from a pistol". Just stick to a flashlight and some whistling.

·
Registered
12,596 Posts
If he is making as much noise as you say you could probably just give him a loud whistle. There won't be any deer in your vicinity to hear you anyway.;)

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I would probably think someone is trying to shoot me, seek cover and prepare for a fight. In my case that would mean racking a round and ducking behind a tree. Don't matter if it's hunting hours at that point, if you think someones got a gun trained on you then you do what you have to.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I would probably think someone is trying to shoot me, seek cover and prepare for a fight. In my case that would mean racking a round and ducking behind a tree. Don't matter if it's hunting hours at that point, if you think someones got a gun trained on you then you do what you have to.
I agree with this with the exception perhaps of racking a round immediately. Anyone walking around the woods pointing a lazer light, whether it's on a firearm or not, is an idiot. He should know someone seeing one in the woods would expect it to be on a pistol and if it was pointed in my vicinity I'd be excited real fast.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
A tiny laser dot will be far less noticeable than just using a flashlight, plus I agree with what others have said about it being a perceived threat. Just shine him off with your light, its never not worked for me.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
I know LEO'S tend to get real excited if they see a laser dot in their vicinity! I saw this happen once and they had no sense of humor.

·
Super Moderator
37,686 Posts
Pointing a laser at someone in the middle of the woods is not only incredibly rude, it could also be very detrimental to your long term health.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I just give a whistle and let them see me. Most will just walk threw and let ya be. My best days are when small game hunters walk by me. But I do make sure they know I'm in the tree.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 27 Posts