Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Banned
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to hear what you guys have to say about using crossbows during the normal bow season. Myself i think it is B.S. If people want to use them keep it to the gun season, after all it is basically a gun that shoots a arrow. The dnr says they need kids to get into hunting in michigan because the economy has less people hunting and less kids are involved. I thought that was the point of the youth season. If it takes someone a crossbow to get out in archery season they shouldnt be hunting anywase. I dont think they should "dumb up" the archery season anymore than it is now. After all we have compound bows that shoot faster than ever, carbon arrows, treestands, releases, and so on. How much more do we have to lower the bar so people get involved. They set up a muzzleloader season for more of a tradtional season and now they are just as accurate as rifles. They have late doe seasons, early doe seasons, youth hunts, disabled hunts, archery season, firearm season, muzzleloader season. How many more seasons do we need to harvest a deer? To me the whole point of a archery season is to have more of a traditional hunt instead more of a "guarenteed" deer if you see one. If you cant pull back a bow, thats what firearm season is for. May sound harsh but come on, when is it going to end? If you want to hunt use the seasons that are already in place. Dont complain because you want to take all the skill out of shooting a recurve, longbow, or a compound in archery season. Pretty soon it will be legal to shoot deer with pistols with silencers in bow season. :dizzy: I really hope this doesnt happen but im sure it will. Just taking the skill right out of the sport is all there doing. Let the bashing begin :lol:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I agree with you. I could have shot so many more deer with a crossbow this year. It defeats the purpose of archery season. I'm gonna start shooting a recurve next year. I already ready shoot bunnies with that thing. Time to go for some bigger game.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I think we should actually be managing the deer, rather than worrying about what weapon someone is using.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Sure why not. Our seasons, regulation,and overall deer managenent are a joke anyway. Might as well throw crossbows in there too. They may get a few more guys to buy a license.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hell why not toss in tripwires and lower power landmines. Just have gun all season.

Hell why not just have sharpshooters manage the herd and we just walk along and tag the deer we want. :gaga::gaga:

Its getting to be a sport of convenience and less about skill. Just as we do with everything lets make it easier for the people who do not want to go out and put time in with a bow. Put crossbow in with gun or muzzle loader.

Talk about lazy hunters. Unless you are physically unable leave crossbow out of Bow season.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am willing to bet alot of bow hunters that obtain an arm or shoulder injury and cant pull back their bow wouldn't complain about using a crossbow during "bow season".

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
I'd rather see shotguns in the rifle zone during the archery season. It would allow more kids and woman and people who just don't have the time to practice to take more deer.

It would help with management, and maybe bring a few more people Up North to improve the economy.
Come on you selfish greedy archery hunters let them hunt too.:lol:

Note: there may have been a little sarcasm injected into this post.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Talk about lazy hunters. Unless you are physically unable leave crossbow out of Bow season.
I have to say that this type of attitude ticks me off. So anyone able bodied person that wants to use a crossbow is lazy? Perhaps I want to use a crossbow because I live in the city and have nowhere to practice. Perhaps I don't have the time to spend learning. Maybe I just feel more confident shooting a crossbow. There are hundreds of reasons why someone might want to shoot a crossbow other than being lazy.

If they legalize crossbows, I'll be first in line to buy one. If you want to call me lazy for that, then go ahead.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
I have to say that this type of attitude ticks me off. So anyone able bodied person that wants to use a crossbow is lazy? Perhaps I want to use a crossbow because I live in the city and have nowhere to practice. Perhaps I don't have the time to spend learning. Maybe I just feel more confident shooting a crossbow. There are hundreds of reasons why someone might want to shoot a crossbow other than being lazy.

If they legalize crossbows, I'll be first in line to buy one. If you want to call me lazy for that, then go ahead.
The new generation of archers has arrived.
Wouldn't shotguns be a better fit for you than a crossbow?

Spelling edit

·
Registered
35,255 Posts
It shoots an arrow so why shouldn't it be in archery season? I'm for full inclusion and have never shot a crossbow plus I do not have plans on a purchase of one.

It would add hunters to the woods and probably would cut down on the "I wounded another deer with my bow" threads that seem to be so popular on this site.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
This has been talked about ad .............

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Whether your pro archery season or not.... Have a Happy Thanksgiving.:)

·
Registered
720 Posts
LOL...

In before the lock..

My view on crossbows in archery season is the same as another archery hunting tool that was invented for people that had medical problems and had a difficulty pulling a recurve/longbow back - the compound bow.

BOTH belong in archery season.

In this case CHOICE IS GOOD..

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Having shot bows since 1964 I see no reason they shouldn't be allowed in bow season. I have used longbows, recurves and compounds and any arguement that crossbows shouldn't be allowed in bow season is just that a personal opinion and not based on any scientific fact or basis...

Hell I said the same things when they allowed compounds into bow season, they didn't hurt bow season any more than crossbows will......

·
Administrator
26,677 Posts
having shot bows since 1964 i see no reason they shouldn't be allowed in bow season. I have used longbows, recurves and compounds and any arguement that crossbows shouldn't be allowed in bow season is just that a personal opinion and not based on any scientific fact or basis...

Hell i said the same things when they allowed compounds into bow season, they didn't hurt bow season any more than crossbows will......
amen!!!!!

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Crossbow is just another way to propel an arrow with a string. It should be allowed in bow season. after all, it is a bow and was taken game before the compound bow.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.