Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I created a survey a few weeks back in regards to using your cell phone while deer hunting. I wrote an article on my blog about the correlation of missed opportunities at deer and cell phone usage while hunting. The survey results are interesting! Let me know what you think and if you have had similar encounters while hunting!

Check out the article here: http://transitionwild.com/2015/12/26/your-smartphone-isnt-helping-you-kill-deer/

Thanks for reading!

-Adam

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
If a hunter needs to amuse or entertain himself in order to stay on stand longer, than a phone, book, etc. may in fact increase his odds by extending his time afield. Other hunters I know who would be stuck in the office use their phone to work, answer emails, etc. while hunting and so for them the connectedness is expanding their time afield.

I suspect it's a generational thing but I have no interest in surfing the web while hunting. To me one of the best parts about hunting is the escape element.

If one or more of my older children is hunting at the same time with me then I do a little texting with them but it's so brief and limited that it would have very minimal impact, although it is entirely possible that from time to time I miss seeing something as a result.

Your account of the hunter in Kansas not even noticing you was pretty entertaining. I suspect your entire premise of a smart phone costing hunter's opportunities is very applicable to some hunters.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Thought this kinda applies to hunters as well as kids lol. Seriously though, there are some helpful apps out there that could be be of use out in the field but I wouldn't know. I barely have enough service to text a buddy and see how he's doing let alone use anything that needs 4g. More often than not my phones only purpose is to tell me the time and sometimes snap a pic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If a hunter needs to amuse or entertain himself in order to stay on stand longer, than a phone, book, etc. may in fact increase his odds by extending his time afield. Other hunters I know who would be stuck in the office use their phone to work, answer emails, etc. while hunting and so for them the connectedness is expanding their time afield.

I suspect it's a generational thing but I have no interest in surfing the web while hunting. To me one of the best parts about hunting is the escape element.

If one or more of my older children is hunting at the same time with me then I do a little texting with them but it's so brief and limited that it would have very minimal impact, although it is entirely possible that from time to time I miss seeing something as a result.

Your account of the hunter in Kansas not even noticing you was pretty entertaining. I suspect your entire premise of a smart phone costing hunter's opportunities is very applicable to some hunters.
I agree with you on extending the hunt or allowing oneself to "work and hunt" from the field instead of being stuck in the office. I had another guy tell me on archery talk that it helps him kill deer because of his ADD, it keeps him out there longer. He says it also helps him sit still instead of getting antsy and moving around. To me, its a double edge sword.

I agree with the escape element as well! It helps to disconnect from the real world for a bit. Thanks for reading November Sunrise!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thought this kinda applies to hunters as well as kids lol. Seriously though, there are some helpful apps out there that could be be of use out in the field but I wouldn't know. I barely have enough service to text a buddy and see how he's doing let alone use anything that needs 4g. More often than not my phones only purpose is to tell me the time and sometimes snap a pic.
Thats a funny picture! I like when I don't have service either - then I can't be tempted to scroll through my phone! Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I carry mine because my wife insists...but it's shut off and in the deepest recesses of my pockets.
truthfuly probably a good thing to have along if your over 60 for an emergency. otherwise its as dead a weight as the brains of those that can't stay off the darned thing

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I carry mine because my wife insists...but it's shut off and in the deepest recesses of my pockets.
truthfuly probably a good thing to have along if your over 60 for an emergency. otherwise its as dead a weight as the brains of those that can't stay off the darned thing
Wow, you don't have to be over 60 to have an emergency out in the woods...A co-worker fell 20' a couple years ago (mid 40's), over 200 stitches, broken pelvis, etc...If he would have had his cell phone he would have been able to call for help, he laid in pain under that stand for almost 10hrs before help came....So I guess I'm dumb for carrying my phone Mr. Invincible...and BTW I read books on calm days too...

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
There's another angle you could have taken on this...

Just as you pointed out a few specific actions hunters are guilty of that may cost them an opportunity at filling a tag, there are equally as many (if not more) specific actions/uses that involve smartphones that can and do help hunters fill tags.

A couple that come to mind would be minute by minute weather reports. There have been times when I used my smartphone to access a weather app that notified me of a change in wind direction, which resulted in me changing stand locations. This could not only help me harvest a deer during that hunt, but also preserve the abandoned stand from deer winding me and hurting my odds for future hunts.
Also, because of my smartphone, I am able to quickly and quietly locate stands that are a mile+ deep in a swamp. Because a few of these stands are difficult to find, even during the day, I normally would only hunt them during afternoon sits. Prior to smartphones, I would wonder around or sit tight in the general area of my stand until the sun came up and I could pinpoint my stand. My smartphone will lead me directly to any stand I have in complete darkness, which will increase my odds of killing a deer.
Also, you cannot deny the advantages of having sweet mapping apps in the palm of your hands, ready to assist in navigation or scouting new locations without having boots on the ground.

I think when you add up all the pro's and con's of hunting with a smartphone, the pro's far outweigh the con's and actually help hunters kill deer.

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Your Smartphone Isn't Helping You Kill Deer

You wont be saying that when I get my turret gun and crossbow setup. Cell camera and the kill app are gonna get it done 24/7!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's another angle you could have taken on this...

Just as you pointed out a few specific actions hunters are guilty of that may cost them an opportunity at filling a tag, there are equally as many (if not more) specific actions/uses that involve smartphones that can and do help hunters fill tags.

A couple that come to mind would be minute by minute weather reports. There have been times when I used my smartphone to access a weather app that notified me of a change in wind direction, which resulted in me changing stand locations. This could not only help me harvest a deer during that hunt, but also preserve the abandoned stand from deer winding me and hurting my odds for future hunts.
Also, because of my smartphone, I am able to quickly and quietly locate stands that are a mile+ deep in a swamp. Because a few of these stands are difficult to find, even during the day, I normally would only hunt them during afternoon sits. Prior to smartphones, I would wonder around or sit tight in the general area of my stand until the sun came up and I could pinpoint my stand. My smartphone will lead me directly to any stand I have in complete darkness, which will increase my odds of killing a deer.
Also, you cannot deny the advantages of having sweet mapping apps in the palm of your hands, ready to assist in navigation or scouting new locations without having boots on the ground.

I think when you add up all the pro's and con's of hunting with a smartphone, the pro's far outweigh the con's and actually help hunters kill deer.
I would certainly have to agree with you on all of this! The angle I took in the article does not portray any of these benefits but they are undoubtably true for many hunters. Smartphones are invaluable to todays modern deer hunter - I know I wouldn't leave the house without it!

I'm thinking I should write another article of the angle you speak of. Thanks for reading and the great feedback!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Safety should be the number one priority - always good to have in emergencies. People do spend a lot of time on their phones and I myself am guilty of spending more than I probably should. But hey, the less deer they kill means more for you, right?? haha thanks for reading.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I always read on stand, I must say ( a bit embarrassed though), If I am reading, or have nodded off, I tend to see more deer, prolly for the lack of movement
the guys I hunt with finely figured out the reason I would go out to my stand,,lay down against a tree and go to sleep first thing in the morning. first off,,,i'm going to fall asleep anyway,,,if I'm laying down I won't tip over. second I sleep for a half hour or so and assuming I haven't snored,,,(and I stayed up one night to see if I snored,,,i didn't snore once) I have been still for a half hour or so,,frequently within moments I see a deer. have even woke up to a bird sitting on the toe of my boot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have to admit I am on my phone while in my stand. I would love to say that that I don't use it and my full attention is on what is in front of me, the great outdoors. I get antsy and fidget too much and have found that my phone allows me to keep still or lessens my movement considerably. It is easy to put away if I see movement or hear something and have attached a string to it and just let it drop to my chest at times to help with the movement part of putting it back in my pocket. Back in the day I used to carry a book but they are a bit more cumbersome and can't be used to call for help in an emergency. If I miss seeing a few deer because of it then I do but the chances of me spooking a deer because I am moving around probably out weigh what may have been spooked before I ever would have seen it either way. I get to spend more time in the woods, maybe not the highest of quality time because of my phone, then again I am not on it the entire time either just when I know that I am starting to move around too much and need to keep myself in check.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.