Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a go to when jigs aren’t getting it what you favorite bait ti tip the jig. Wax worm splines, mousies.
IMG_1612.JPG

·
Registered
502 Posts
In my narrow experience, fishing without bait is slow and unsuccessful.

Mousies have been the go-to for 40 years, because that’s what Dad wants to fish with. And, we usually catch fish.

Waxworms were the hot bait at one lake in the 90’s, then the crappie population nose-dived. And, we lost access to the lake when my aunt died.

Spikes—only if they are out of mousies, etc.

In the late 80’s I loved wigglers for perch. Lost access to that lake, and couldn’t find a reasonable supply of wigglers.

Minnows—like fishing with them, hate wasting them because I don’t have feasible storage working 50-60 hours a week.

Shiners: Dad used to pick up a half dozen for pike tip-ups until I started out fishing him with a runt dead bluegill.

Anything on the line after this is desperation or boredom. :)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Spikes or plastics for me. Minnow heads occasionally. Wax worms never seem to catch me any fish, or stay on long enough to do so. I can put 3 spikes on a teardrop and have all sorts of multicolored tentacle action off the back of my jig for a few fish before replacing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my narrow experience, fishing without bait is slow and unsuccessful.

Mousies have been the go-to for 40 years, because that’s what Dad wants to fish with. And, we usually catch fish.

Waxworms were the hot bait at one lake in the 90’s, then the crappie population nose-dived. And, we lost access to the lake when my aunt died.

Spikes—only if they are out of mousies, etc.

In the late 80’s I loved wigglers for perch. Lost access to that lake, and couldn’t find a reasonable supply of wigglers.

Minnows—like fishing with them, hate wasting them because I don’t have feasible storage working 50-60 hours a week.

Shiners: Dad used to pick up a half dozen for pike tip-ups until I started out fishing him with a runt dead bluegill.

Anything on the line after this is desperation or boredom. :)
Thank you for information. Now we need ice can’t wait fir fresh fish

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My favorite bait is doobie dues, Always Gets the whales snapping.lol
Never hear of that bait. Interesting right now watch YouTube two guy catching white fish in Minnesota. They are good looking fish

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whatever the fish are bitting that day. If there was one I could always catch them on it would be beads but really all you need on St Clair is beads, raps, and tungsten. If they aren’t bitting one of those they aren’t bitting
I got a few jig with bead from Northwoods sport outlet

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Guster,diamond willow,rapps my go 2 out dare.i don't run bait much out dare,cause my biggest whales have come without bait.all depends on body of water yur fashin imo. I will say dis especially on American side of lsc.dare is a time frame usually Februaryish.they get educated, dem whales only will hit a wiggler,or emerald on a deadstick.i do love mouseies for when I tip.belive it immatates a wiggler well;)

·
Registered
810 Posts
You
Guster,diamond willow,rapps my go 2 out dare.i don't run bait much out dare,cause my biggest whales have come without bait.all depends on body of water yur fashin imo. I will say dis especially on American side of lsc.dare is a time frame usually Februaryish.they get educated, dem whales only will hit a wiggler,or emerald on a deadstick.i do love mouseies for when I tip.belive it immatates a wiggler well;)
Are the Russian hooks popular on lsc?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts