Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wrecker guys were out on the ice a couple of days ago to pull the car out that fell thru. He asked me to borrow a depth finder and we got to talking. I asked him what it costs for a job like that and he told me 3 to 5,000. But here's the interesting part.
The guy had only PLPD insurance and it paid to have the car removed from the lake. Something about public access or something. Whatever the reason, being a public lake had something to do with it. The insurance company will pay to have it pulled to the road. Then you take over payment from there.

He said with PLPD, he needs the cash up front as hiring a lawyer is usually necessary to get the cash out of the insurance company, but thet WILL pay. With full coverage he'd go after the insurance company themselves.

This is A & L Towing in Carson City that told me this.

I've always thought once you were on the ice you insurance was null and void. He replied that that's what they want you to think.
They will pay the claim, but expect to be cancelled at the same time.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Where on Crystal did that car go through? How much ice do you have? And one more question. How is the fishing over there. Thanks Skeeter

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It went thru on the SW side of the lake about 400 yards off the old boat launch. The ice is funny this year. The lake froze the first time, the it warmed up again, then refroze. Certain parts still held ice thru the warm spell and now has 12 in. or better. The parts that thawed to open water and refroze now has 4 to 8 in.

So it depends where you are. With the snow cover, you can't tell old ice from new, so you have to be careful.

Compared to last year the fishing sucks. I've only caught a few dinks all season. But then again, we were on the ice the first week of December too.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Wanted to get out on the Sag Bay, and would have this week but the wind has been terrible. I fish in a shanty and its warm etc, but if the ice breaks off your TROLLING IN THE WINTER and thats NOT a good thing. Besides I don't care to take a trip to Canada on an iceberg! So am waiting. Hopefully Sat will get out. The ice is the same way here. Froze and refroze, and froze and covered with ice and makes for thin ice in spots. No matter how carful we are its a fact we can still run into trouble in a hurry out there. Wouldn't have wanted it to be my car. Ya know, a person would have to be touched to go out on the ice this year with a car.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I don't usually drive on the ice but I did take advantage (lazy?) of the ice conditions last year and drove on LSC and Higgins. The ice was 22" plus and I still did not feel relaxed. I did check w/ our insurance companies before I went on the ice and both vehicles were covered (different companies). We have full coverage and they pay up to a certain amount for retreiving the vehicle but the environmental fees would be all mine I believe. With the crazy weather and varying ice conditions I don't think I will be doing that this year.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'm with Jpollman on this one,my truck stays on shore.Although I'm jelous of the guy's that drive out when I'm hoofing it,I'm just not willing to take the chance.........

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Drove thw hell out of Hubbard last year, and many other lakes in the years prior, just have to (hopefully :eek: :rolleyes: :) ) "know" the ice before you hit the gas.

:cool:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thats an interesting one T-head. Like the others, I don't think I'll take the chance.

Skeeter, I hope to get on the bay on 1/31. I wish I could do it tomorrow but one of those family "semi-" emergencies came up. uggghhh .... responsibilities. Maybe I'll see ya out there sometime.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just not worth the risk to me. I'm sure those "environmental" fees are pretty darn steap!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Last time a vehicle went in Hubbard they told us there were no enviromental fines per day on inland lakes. But they did say that you have to get it out within a reasonable time. This may not be the case anymore, it has been a couple years since some trucks went down here. Kind of cool watching the divers float a truck up on a cool spring morning though. Bolo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts