Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts

Somebody posted this last year and i saved it because I couldn't believe the size difference between a normal sized younger buck and a < 200 LB beast.
That's a great comparison pic. True story, 10 years I'm with a group of in kansas for the rut. Guy texts that he shot a "booner" 10 point and needs help tracking. Shortly after we find his buck - 120 inch 10 point that had the body of a Michigan yearling. I kid you not, this buck could not have weighed more than 120lbs dressed. Given the body size, the rack looked massive. He never got it aged.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
This is good stuff. My friends and I have weighed all our deer for years. All on Cabelas hanging scales so give or take we assume relative accuracy. Our group has been seeking the elusive 150+ dressed doe and to date the best was 146 I shot near Bruce Crossing. I am convinced does above 150 are more rare than 150” bucks.

Some awesome deer on this thread. Congrats to you all but HUGE congrats to Maple Ridge I believe it was. That doe is amazing. You shot a unicorn

·
Administrator
17,428 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,238 Posts
Only have ever put 1 on a scale and it was I think 150 dressed, last year. My buddy got the biggest I've ever seen, but it was from Iowa. 300# live weight, pretty much on the nose. It looked like a fat sausage spilling over the deer cart.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have seen some Huge body deer in the thumb both when I was a kid and as a adult.

One about 10 years ago the farmer who's land I was hunting asked if I saw it when he was cutting the corn and I did but he ranged at 247 yards. I will never forget it, it was broadside and just standing there. I counted 14 pts ( thru binoculars) and the farmer said the deer had to be over 300lbs on the hoof.

Talked to the neighbor and he said the same thing, they have been watching this deer for a few years.

When there neck is the size of a large tree trunk you know its a heavy deer

·
Super Moderator
35,238 Posts
I have seen some Huge body deer in the thumb both when I was a kid and as a adult.

One about 10 years ago the farmer who's land I was hunting asked if I saw it when he was cutting the corn and I did but he ranged at 247 yards. I will never forget it, it was broadside and just standing there. I counted 14 pts ( thru binoculars) and the farmer said the deer had to be over 300lbs on the hoof.

Talked to the neighbor and he said the same thing, they have been watching this deer for a few years.

When there neck is the size of a large tree trunk you know its a heavy deer
My buddy's 300 pounder had a 35" neck. Crazy big

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I know a NLP butcher who butchers a ton of deer. According to him 200lb deer are basically As rare as booners. 1 a year maybe.

We weigh every deer we shoot at my place. That can be as many as 10 a year. Heaviest was just over 170 at least 4.5. We do have a couple does over 135 though.
I'd be absolutely thrilled with a 130+ doe. I bet most I've shot we're 100ish dressed, some smaller. Usually pick out the biggest in the group, but that isn't always huge either.

I shot one off my Dad's property years ago that was huge, but I didn't think super heavy.

My Mom shot a doe one year that was maybe, but I highly doubt bigger than 130ish.

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
That's a great comparison pic. True story, 10 years I'm with a group of in kansas for the rut. Guy texts that he shot a "booner" 10 point and needs help tracking. Shortly after we find his buck - 120 inch 10 point that had the body of a Michigan yearling. I kid you not, this buck could not have weighed more than 120lbs dressed. Given the body size, the rack looked massive. He never got it aged.
I have told this story before but here goes.....we were at our annual bow camp and we were discussing an article in a magazine about aging deer on the hoof. In particlar we were discussing the part about how to age a doe.

That night my buddy shoots a doe and he claims it had all the characteristics of a mature doe discussed in the article and was 4+ yrs old. It rained we lost blood and it turned into a next morning search and we found it. But we immediately start giving my buddy crap over its size because it looked to be 90lbs tops.

This was back when bovine tb was the hot button issue and he submitted it for testing. Later on he got his results back and it was said to be a 4.5 yr old doe. He talked to a biologist at one point about it and he said deer are really no different than people. We all have that really short small friend who can never get a date because of his size. We all have that one 6' 5" behemoth who we like to hang out at the bar with.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
81 - 100 of 104 Posts