Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. guys, I need some help here!

I'm looking for your BEST Recipes for smoking venison! I use a Little Chief Smoker, and want to make several different batches!!

I am not looking for the simple salt and water type deal. I find the more you put in the better the taste! Please help me out here?!:(

G

·
Well, here goes.......

I start with a 1 qt mason jar,,

Fill it half full with HOT water
1/2 cup non iodized salt
1 cup sugar
stir till dissolved
add
1 large finely diced onion
10 minced cloves garlic
2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
fill jar rest of the way with COLD water
stir

I usually throw meat into a gallon size ziplock, and add marinade, you can add some water to cover.
Squeeze out all air, and put in fridge for 12 to 24 hours.
Take out, pat dry, and let sit for 1 hour until pellicle forms, then smoke as usual.

Or, if you dont have time to smoke, throw the bag in the freezer, then take out and let thaw at room temp, pat dry, wait for pellicle and then smoke. Freezing works fine, and the meat gets marinated while freezing and thawing. I usually do this when I have alot of jerky to smoke, cause if I make it all at once, it dissapears to fast..... Also works great for turkey, beef, fish and pork!!!

IFN:D

·
Banned
694 Posts
Tom's famous jerky recipe

Approx. 3lbs. of venison strips (1/4 by 1/2 inch by whatever length).
4 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
2teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 cup liquid smoke
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup water

I have a 1 gallon jar that I bought pickles in (bulk section of food store). You can also use a large tupperwear, but you will never get the hickory smell out.

Put the meat and seasonings in the jar for 24 hours, mixing it frequently.

If using a dehydrator, dehydrate for about 8 hours.
If making it in the oven, line the bottom of the oven with tin foil. Arrange meat strips on the oven rack.
Heat oven to 150 degrees. Crush a soda can, and put it in the oven door so that the door is slightly ajar (this lets the moisture escape).

Cook for 6 to 10 hours, depending on the thickness of the strips. It's done when you can bend the strips and they begin to splinter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot, Tom222 & Ice Fishin' Nut!!!!!!!

I will make a batch of each to try them out!!!!!

Hopefully other people will post, as I'd like to try about 6 or 7 different kinds!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
smoky hot jerky

Use whatever cuts of meat you like as long as you cut across the grain and no thicker than 1/4". Mix ingrdients in a bowl and gradually stir in 1 lb. of meat and place in a ziplock bag and cover with the remainder of the sauce. Remove as much air from the bag as possible and seal. Leave the bag in the fridge over night. Place in a dehydrator the next day for 2-4 hrs. depending on the thickness or on a wire rack in the oven for 6-8 hrs. @ 150 degrees. Turn the jerky a approx. half time cooking.

Ingredients:
venison 1lb.
water 1 cup
worcestershire sauce 2 tsp.
tabasco sauce 1 tsp.
table salt 2 tsp.
cayenne pepper 1 tsp.
garlic salt 1 tsp.
liquid smoke 1/2 tsp.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Cougar,

I went back through some postings from the past and made them current because they contain a lot of ideas about making jerky. Also, in the Big Game Recipies section, there are some postings about making Venison Jerkey. Looks like we have a lot of ideas and information on this subject. Hope it helps.

Salmonsmoker

·
Registered
220 Posts
I used Tom222's jerky recipe(which is very good) then tried substituting the soy sauce with teriaki sauce. Gave it a good sweet flavor.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Larry's
Venison Jerky Brine

4 cups water
11/2 tbs tender quick
2 tbs sugar cure
1 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
3 tbs liquid smoke
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp garlic & herb
1 tsp spice mix that comes with sure cure.

Mix all brine ingredients, add meat(10 lbs or so), mix well. Let marinate 48 hours in refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
Dry with dehydrator preferrably, or oven at lowest temperature setting. You don't want to cook it. It's already chemically cooked by brine.

A three or four gallon plastic container with lid works great. Weather permitting I just set container outside. Don't let it freeze to hard, as you'll want to be able to stir it occasionally.

It doesn't hurt to leave meat in the brine for longer then 48 hours. The thinner you cut the meat the faster it gets full penetration. It's better cut thin then thick, it will dry faster, taste better and go farther. :)

·
Registered
36,309 Posts
Luv2hunteup's OVEN DRIED VENISON JERKY

GO TO GORDON FOOD SERVICE (GFS) TO BUY INGREDIENTS IN BULK
THIS AMOUNT SHOULD ALLOW YOU TO MAKE JERKY OUT OF AT LEAST 2-3 DEER DEPENDING ON THEIR SIZE USING THE NECK, FRONT SHOULDERS AND OTHER ASSORTED PIECES

1 GAL. SOY SAUCE
1 GAL. WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
1 LB. RESTAURANT GRIND BLACK PEPPER
1 LB. MSG
1 LB. GARLIC SALT
5 OZ. HICKORY SMOKE SALT
2 LBS. MORTON’S TENDER QUICK (CURING SALT)

Take a sharp knife and cut away any fat deposits, silvery tissue covering the muscles, excessively bruised/blood shot meat, hair and tendons. You can also do this at any time when you are cutting the meat with the grain in 1/4” strips, the longer the better. Keep the meat you are not working on refrigerated. The more time you take at this step the
better your jerky will taste.

Once you get all the meat cut up, lay the meat out on some freezer wrap or waxed paper and season both sides of the meat with the above dry ingredients. Then place in a tupperware container and cover with a mix of two thirds soy sauce and one third Worcestershire sauce. Any seasoning left on the paper can be mixed into the sauce. Refrigerate for at least a day a few more won’t hurt a thing.

Cover the whole bottom and 1” of the sides of your oven with aluminum foil. This does make a mess of your oven so it will require cleaning when your done, so it’s best to dry multiple batches over a few days.

Take out your oven racks and place on paper towel. Lay the meat strips across the rack at tight as you can but not overlapping. Season the whole rack with the above dry ingredients turn each piece over and season again. Don’t be shy you bought a lot.

Place in your oven at 150F-155 F for 12 hours, if you like it drier leave it longer. If you have an oven thermometer verify your temperature, if not, start keeping an eye on it starting at 10 hours. Meat will start to cook at 160 F, you want to dry the meat not cook it. It does help to prop the oven door open about 1/2” for the first hour or so, this lets the steam out.

After you make your first batch you can adjust the amount of seasoning you prefer. This jerky will store well in your refrigerator or freezer in a zip lock bag.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2 T brown sugar
2 T molassas
4 T White sugar
1/2 C Minced onion (fresh)
2 T oil

Put these in a medium soup pot over medium to low heat. Cook until onions are tender.

Then add: 2 C. beer, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes (low heat). Set aside to cool.

In a blender or food processer add:
1 1/3 C ketchup
4 T balsamic vinegar
4 T worcestershire
2 tsp ground ginger (powdered)
2 T salt
1 T minced garlic (fresh/canned)
2 tsp dejon mustard
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp black pepper
dash of each: cayenne pepper, chili powder, and tabasco

Blend together, add onion/beer mixture from above, let stand at room temp for at least an hour for flavors to blend. Add 2-3 pounds of strips cut to your liking. Marinate over night stirr when ever you get a fresh beer.

This one takes a little extra to prepare, but I cant keep in in the house. Let me know how you like it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yukon45,

Does your jerky recipe yield a hot and sweet flavored jerky? I have been trying to find a recipe that does and from the looks of your ingredients it sounds like this might be what I have been looking for. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
UPwannabe,

Yes, it is a good blend of hot and sweet. It is pretty mild in spiceyness as I have it listed now. Just play with the hot stuff untill it suits your taste. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
1/4 c. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
1/2 c. Soy Sauce
1/4 c. Teriyaki Sauce
3/4 tsp Coarse Ground Blk. Pepper
1/2 tsp. Tobasco Sauce
3/4 tsp. Cayanne Pepper
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 c. Honey
1-2 chopped Japalleno Peppers

Marinade 1/4 inch thick strips overnight in mixture (1 gallon zip-lock baggie)
Hang strips on 2 wire cooling racks wired together to form a t-pee on a large foil lined cookie sheet in a LOW oven (165*-185*) for about 8 hours or so.

Leave oven door propped open about an inch or so with a wooden spoon wedged at the top opening. Check and rotate strips of meat on horizontial wires every 3 hours or so to dry evenly. Try not to allow the strips of marinated meat to touch each other while curing on the wire rack to help in evenly curing.

You can adjust the "HEAT" of the jerky marinade to your own liking,.. the recipie above is a very even low heat value (for me anyhow!) I will ALSO add habenero peppers for my own liking to the above mixture.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i make mine in the oven its so easy i marinade the meat for 24hrs lay it on the jerky racks prop the door open a inch and set the electric oven on its lowest setting i go to bed and its done when i get up the key is the marinade i buy it at kroger cant find it anywhere elesbut the name is allegro it comes in 5 flavors i use hot and spicy and dilute it with coka cola, it tones it down and carmelizes it sometimes i mix it with hickory smoke flavor allegro . try this its so easy and delicious:corkysm55

1 - 20 of 32 Posts