Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my sons first year spearing ,he just turned six. I made him a short spear, a belt type harness and rubber mat floor for the portable shanty (just in case). I was wondering if anyone has done anything for your kids to make it safer/easier. Thanks

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
My advice, make him up a jig stick to work a decoy. That way he doesn't have to lean over the hole to grab a string. I started taking my nephew at that age, it's the same deal as hunting. Heat, snacks, action, and it'll be a good time for you both.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Bring jigging rods for pan fish too. Also, if you happen to have an underwater camera that makes it a bit more fun too. My kids are 10 & 7 and have both been spearing with me for a few years and the camera helps by letting them look for fish coming in. Getting out and trying to do some jig fishing through out the day helps pass the time.

But most important IMO is being undestanding enough to pack it up when they say they are ready to go! They surely wont want to do it again if they know Dad is gonna make them sit out there way longer than they can.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I make my son wear a life jacket. He's 4. Even last year with 28" of ice he had it on. Pack Lots of snacks and understand that trips won't Last as long. Smartphones with kids games help a lot too. I actually bought a life jacket for my phone made by lifeproof just in case. I also tied my son to the shack with climbers rope cuz the Benches are a little tall for him. My sons already talking about this year. I've got his 1st spear already to to go. He just doesn't know it yet. Good luck. It's a blast with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, these are all good ideas. I never thought about a stick for the decoy or the camera. I'll defiantly try it. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
My son is only 2, but I think I am going to at least take him for a short sit somewhere this year. He is always by my side while I'm working on decoys and talking about catching big pike. In fact I had to take the fins off my Bear Creek decoy because he won't leave it alone. It is his new favorite toy.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I don't have the pics, maybe Ryan does but we tie our boys (both 4, but 3 at the time) to the shanty seat. Even with life jackets you can't be too careful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts