Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm hunting on some state land and I'm a poor college kid with nothing short of a bow and some state land.

I'm hunkered down 20 yrds from a well traveled deer trail along a ridge that runs north and south. Plenty of sign ex. Scatt rubs and scrapes, I am up against a big oak tree with some brush and 2 shooting lanes lanes to the trail. How would you guys handle this situation.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well its hard to say without being there and seeing the setup. But I'll give one tip from when I was hunting from the ground with no blind - watch your back! literally! I had a nice buck come out, about 35 yards out I went to draw back and my coat caught on the tree that I was simply just leaning against.. Well needless to say that dear was gone! So watch your surroundings.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Try to set up concealed enough so you can draw as the animal is coming. I prefer to be screened so you can shoot as the animal passes you. Ex. On the side of a big tree or briar wall. Or make a makeshift groundblind with sticks and brush available.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Already some good suggestions!

I try to set up and hunt the wind, keep it in your face. ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
We still use natural ground blinds. They will help conceal your movements. Also make sure you clear away all debris from your sitting area so your not crunching leaves or breaking twigs.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Make a portable blind. I have one that weighs nothing. It is camo burlap, green garden stakes and zip ties. You can fold it right up. I got maybe ten bucks in the setup and it works great for me.

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
Pick up a camo folding stool and get a pair of pruning shears. It's more impotant to have something behind you to break up your outline than stuff in front of you. Wear a mask or face paint. Don't look a deer in the eyes.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
sit on something where you're in a position you can shoot from...bucket, stool, stack of textbooks you wont learn anything from and can't sell back to the bookstore for beer money. The last thing you want to be doing is manuevering into shooting position when you're at eye level with the deer.

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
lean some deadfall up against the big tree on both sides and sit or stand behind the big tree, using the tree and deadfall as a screen. If you must sit, sit low to the ground. clear all debris away from your feet so you can move without making noise.. Also look for blow downs and get behind that.You need some sort of a screen in front of you while you draw back your bow. Personaly i like to stand behind big trees with a large cleared out area on the ground so i can pivot without being detected.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Try to use some brush or other debris to break up your background so they dont see you silhouette. Most importantly have the wind in your favor. Once had a huge 6pt walk withing 5-7yards of me while just sitting against an uprooted stump. Never even knew I was there.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I got a crack at a big one that way, unfortunately I was so low that I hit ferns and deflected low. Try cutting a wedge of wood so you can angle it on the oak roots and sit flat, then maybe have your right leg tucked under the left so you can come up on that right knee for a forward or right angling shot assuming you're right handed. Go get 'em.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
Set up with natural cover as your screen. It would be wise to have a set on both the east and west side of the trail as well, that way you can always hunt down wind of the deer run. I would also try to set up close to a secondary run that crosses the primary run, and hunt down wind of both. From what I've seen...bucks, especially the larger ones, will move across primary runs in a perpendicular fashion to "scent check" more ground quicker. Just my observations.

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
Grab a 5 gal bucket, get some lightweight camo screening or camo burlap, roll it up stuff in bucket. slide your quiver with 3 arrows in along the side, your camo will hold it there, stuff one of those round camo seat cushions on top, put 8 push pins in a old pill bottle and put in your pocket. Find three small trees in a triangle and bingo empty bucket, turn over and hunt....:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good suggestions I'm afraid to move away from that tree because I have a hard time visualizing a shot unless I have the time to try it so yo speak right now I'm sitting on the ground but it sounds like you guys think a bucket is a good idea. I'll see what I can come up with keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love ground hunting, I have done it several times and have had deer walk by within arms length!
Two tips:
1- never look a deer in the eyes! being at ground level, you have to make sure not to make eye contact! they will see this and take off!
2- dont be seen moving! as others have said, only draw back when the deer is moving behind something, dont try and draw back when you can see their head. If you can see their eyes, they can see you!

good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make a portable blind. I have one that weighs nothing. It is camo burlap, green garden stakes and zip ties. You can fold it right up. I got maybe ten bucks in the setup and it works great for me.
This is a great idea but I literally had to sell some of my stuff to be able to buy my license so I won't be doing anything that is not already at my house.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Build a little blind u can tuck down in.. as long as ur low they wont see u... maybe even dig s little pit style blind getting u down a foot or so

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If you can make it to the Detroit area I will give you a pop up blind!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
If you can make it to the Detroit area I will give you a pop up blind!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Thats why i joined the MS Community! You see dozen of posts people fighting each other about nonsense and then you stumble over true comradeship like that right here! Always awesome seeing people helping each other out!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts