Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've always found the application to be a waste of 5 bucks. I hunt pickney/ waterloo area and after the drawing there is always tags available over the counter for the duration of the season. Started this around 10 years ago and haven't missed a season

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Depends on the period you want to hunt, where you choose to hunt, and how you choose to hunt.
One size does not fit all, all of the time. I prefer to arrow my bird because of the added challenge so additional time in some years is welcomed..
And this year could be totally different than ever before, lots of bored people off work with lots of free time, could mean leftover tags will go fast. Time will tell, it always does.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've always found the application to be a waste of 5 bucks. I hunt pickney/ waterloo area and after the drawing there is always tags available over the counter for the duration of the season. Started this around 10 years ago and haven't missed a season
I gave up on applications a long time ago, honestly didn't think I would ever be paying for one if you asked me 5 - 10 years ago I'd say no way. With the newly structured ZZ hunt - longer dates - it is much more desirable to me and many others, add in the fact that it sold out last year.... $5 isn't a big deal to me when it comes to hunting and fishing opportunities.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Zone F applied for both myself and my son.

Not holding my breath. The birds got pretty torn up locally last year. Lots of new Turkey hunters (myself included) got in on the action.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Applied yesterday for zone ZC, it will be my first time Turkey Hunting ever. I'm familiarizing myself with potential public land spots while squirrel hunting this winter - prior to moving up here from Illinois I had never hunted public land before. But either way I'm pretty pumped and my wife is getting tired of listening to me talk about it. :D

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Applied yesterday for zone ZC, it will be my first time Turkey Hunting ever. I'm familiarizing myself with potential public land spots while squirrel hunting this winter - prior to moving up here from Illinois I had never hunted public land before. But either way I'm pretty pumped and my wife is getting tired of listening to me talk about it. :D
Welcome to the site you have found a happy place if you are a outdoors man. There’s a whole lot of great guys around here, if you have any questions about Turkey hunting there’s lots of info to be had, good luck this spring!
Flight

·
Premium Member
9,219 Posts
First time ever applying Applied for zone M. If I’m still here for the season and not down state chasing walleyes like I usually am then I ll give it a go.

Reactions: don

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are the June hunt dates something new? Not a life long turkey hunter and I can't remember seeing that included before with the opener hunt dates.
Screenshot_20210113-073539_Drive.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
The June tag is the downside of getting one for the opener. Which pretty much gives you a one week season and a better chance for the 2nd round of hunters to bag their tom. Or you now have a reason to stalk the woods on Memorial day weekend w/ a shotgun?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Always great to walk around with my shotgun, but I am not keen on hunting in June. I have the first week and then first week in June. I will hunt the first week. Who comes up with these ideas? I would love to hear their thoughts on that, maybe I will regret it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts