Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been asked to share EVERYTHING here in the forum, while working with and shooting Yoteantidote's RU. He told me today, "Post everything so others can learn." So.... those of you who may be interested in a future purchase, follow along ;)

Before I was told to post it all, of course I posted about how hard the barrel was to clean, and I'm not to my satisfaction yet.

Give me a break on the quality of these photos, its from the scope.......

1st off, noticed the notch cut in the stock so the bolt would clear.

Then it was off to finding out what the inside of the barrel looked like and what, or how much work that would entail. Getting the scope close to the barrel, I noticed the rifling was ledged below the crown. My assumption is that this is designed to help load the sabot/bullet.

Viewing further down the barrel, I wasn't pleased with what I first seen and figured, OS! Yoteantidote isn't going to be happy with this. However I also knew it needed to be brushed and cleaned and we'd find out later what was up.........

Now, what ever Remington put in that barrel for possible long term storage, is nasty and hard to remove. I've worked just over 2 hours on it and its cleaning up, slowly. I have another plan to expedite cleaning in the next couple days. However the following photo shows the barrel in much better shape. What originally looked like bad rust spots, where I fully expected some pitting, cleaned out. More cleaning to come.

As you can see in the above photo, the gunk is coming off and some areas quicker than others.

After re-lubing the barrel, I removed the barrel from the stock. I immediately noticed two marks on the barrel. One is from the ramrod seating, the other is where the stock and action meet.

I didn't notice it at first but, there was a piece of paper on the rear receiver screw, between the trigger guard and action. WTH? My first thought was, don't tell me that's some kind of shim??? Then I realized that someone most likely in their haste to assemble, didn't realize a tab was left in place when they ripped off the rest of the tag. At least that's what I hope.....

I have a suspicion, that maybe the gunk in the barrel "might" be causing some owners accuracy issues that are being reported. Most never scope a new barrel before its shot and scoping this barrel, certainly indicated a good cleaning was in order. At first, I ran some solvent down the barrel on a few patches and they started coming out clean. That may be where many "might be" making a mistake. Even though it had clean patches, I started brushing again and then a patch. It was obvious the crud wasn't coming from a dirty brush.

I've asked and received back a couple suggestions about how to better clean it. One that was suggested by a couple different guys, was to spray de-greaser on a patch and work that in the barrel. Was told that many do that to NEW firearms. WITHOUT THE STOCK ON THE BARREL. Of course you have to lubricate the barrel not just good, but great after using a de-greaser. One way or another, I'll get that barrel spotless before shooting it.

His scope should show up in a week or so and by then the barrel with be ready.

Note: I ain't go'n back and doing a spell check :lol:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Encore,
This is great to watch this unfold, and I'm honored to have you working on it!
After seeing the pictures of the bore I can now see what you are talking about, I never would have imagined that it would be in that condition. I'm also concerned with the ramrod touching the barrel and the harmonics.

I guessing the scope will be in the mail to you next weekend....then things will start to get interesting!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Whatever crap (imitation cosmoline?) that Remington is putting in there is definitely contaminated. That looks worse than ANY new muzzleloader that I have ever seen.

Have you tried Mineral Spirits? Far away from the stock, of course.

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever crap (imitation cosmoline?) that Remington is putting in there is definitely contaminated. That looks worse than ANY new muzzleloader that I have ever seen.

Have you tried Mineral Spirits? Far away from the stock, of course.
Not yet with mineral spirits, but that will happen before I run to get a spray degreaser. One other owner stated he thought it was "tar and feathers" in his bore. What ever it is, is hard to get out but, it WILL come out. YES........ FAR AWAY FROM THE STOCK.

Encore,
This is great to watch this unfold, and I'm honored to have you working on it!
After seeing the pictures of the bore I can now see what you are talking about, I never would have imagined that it would be in that condition. I'm also concerned with the ramrod touching the barrel and the harmonics.

I guessing the scope will be in the mail to you next weekend....then things will start to get interesting!
Ramrod and barrel....... tomorrow I'll be working on it again and will look that issue over extremely well. Will be looking for a way to stop that and why its doing it in the first place.

Now........ after seeing the "before" photos of the barrel, I bet you now know why I called and was a little, well concerned about it? What ever Remington used, is harder than hell and WILL NOT just brush out easily. What I'm happy about and certainly you too, is that what was originally seen in the barrel, hasn't compromised it or pitted. Something in that junk they stick in it.

This is fun, "labor of love" as you mentioned. More to follow when I start again.

Glad you made it back safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts