Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather where he was today was pretty bad. He couldn't make the trip to bring the rifle. On this side, we actually had some sun. I had to kid him a little about how down staters are afraid of a little snow squall :lol:

He'll try again.....

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've been watching the forecasts lately and it doesn't look great for a few days. Hopefully you guys hook up soon. Lots of us looking forward to the results of the great experiment.!!.. LOL Keep up the great work Encore.

-KEN-

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been watching the forecasts lately and it doesn't look great for a few days. Hopefully you guys hook up soon. Lots of us looking forward to the results of the great experiment.!!.. LOL Keep up the great work Encore.

-KEN-
We talked three times today. He has a bunch of guys coming up tomorrow, but he may have to leave them on the ice by themselves for a few hours one day before he goes home for the winter. Its like I told him, he won't be any closer unless he makes a special trip ;)

Its actually a great thing for both he and I, plus anyone else who may be interested. He knows that and asked me to post any results here. It make take some work, but I believe I can get it to meet his expectations. I get the chance to setup and shoot one, he'll end up with the best I can get from it. Its like I told him today, first thing I want to do, is to clean that barrel, inspect it, then disassemble the rifle for a good cleaning, lube and then make sure the torques are proper on the stock. When the scope gets mailed to me, it will also be installed and torqued to specifications. From that point, the actual work begins. I'll keep close track of what X-ring is doing, although much of what this owner wants may be different.

·
Registered
746 Posts
We talked three times today. He has a bunch of guys coming up tomorrow, but he may have to leave them on the ice by themselves for a few hours one day before he goes home for the winter. Its like I told him, he won't be any closer unless he makes a special trip ;)

Its actually a great thing for both he and I, plus anyone else who may be interested. He knows that and asked me to post any results here. It make take some work, but I believe I can get it to meet his expectations. I get the chance to setup and shoot one, he'll end up with the best I can get from it. Its like I told him today, first thing I want to do, is to clean that barrel, inspect it, then disassemble the rifle for a good cleaning, lube and then make sure the torques are proper on the stock. When the scope gets mailed to me, it will also be installed and torqued to specifications. From that point, the actual work begins. I'll keep close track of what X-ring is doing, although much of what this owner wants may be different.

No doubt you're going to have some fun and he (and the rest of us!) will get some really valuable and interesting info. I have a friend in Cheboygan that's back and forth between there and downstate. I have half a mind to send you my bedded laminate thumbhole stock, old-school 700ML with the Fred Arnold BH209 conversion kit (and supplies) to see what 'modified' old school Rem, vs RU vs "Idacide" can do.! The battle of the Rem-based muzzy's..!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Getting ready to hit the ice now, hopefully we can meet up still this weekend.
I can always buy you dinner in Gaylord/Lewiston tonight.
A good steak of course!

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A good steak of course!
Saturday and Sunday......... 80 and 90% snow forecast.

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A good steak of course!
If you check the web, check your VME's.......

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Remmy is now in the hands of Encore!
I'll get it all cleaned up and ready for the scope. We'll find out what she'll do soon.

Oh........... I see you left out the fact that I picked up myself another rifle :lol: Picked up a Remington MZ in .54 :D

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starting to clean the inside of the barrel and remove Remington's gunk this morning........

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not impressed with trying to clean out Remington's %@#*![{ mess inside the barrel. Could have sworn that I had some JB and well, I found out I don't. Its a far cry from what it was when I started and have spent 2 hours on.

Work but fun work, interesting how Remington did a few things.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Did you notice that little groove at the front of the comb to accommodate clearance for the bolt?

The only complaints I have with the rifle aesthetically is the cheesy dot matrix printing on the forward part of the barrel, and the barrel band thimble spanning the flutes.

I loaned a nearly new jar of JB to a co-worker a while back, it never found it's way back home either. That is awesome stuff, but nobody carries it around here. Hate to place an order to Brownell's just for a jar of paste, and if I do there will be several other things I'll want. So a $10-15 order would turn into a $100-200 order for a $10 item.

Looking forward to your adventures with the RU. What does he want to shoot in it? Powder & Bullets?

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you notice that little groove at the front of the comb to accommodate clearance for the bolt?

The only complaints I have with the rifle aesthetically is the cheesy dot matrix printing on the forward part of the barrel, and the barrel band thimble spanning the flutes..........

Looking forward to your adventures with the RU. What does he want to shoot in it? Powder & Bullets?
Noticed the notch, which is probably just generic cut and didn't need to be as long. The barrel band is forward of the fluting, not over it. The fluting ends where the band is located.

To start out, it will be T7M pellets. Although he would like to shoot BH, we've agreed that it will be the T7M's to start. At this time I have the single package of Barnes that came with the rifle. He's sending more brass and components with the scope.
I have some 290gr TMZ's that I'll use with just 2 pellets to get it started on paper. I'll save propellant by shooting just 2 and the TMZ's that I can't shoot with a maximum charge. We'll see what those do first, then change to the supplied bullets and a 3 pellet charge. Depending..... I may put 2-60gr and 1-50gr. Enough to determine the difference a 10gr charge may be. I have 275gr BE's and of course the 300gr WM.

The action and barrel screws were not torqued. That has changed. Interesting though, when removing the trigger guard and plate, someone must have been in a hurry putting it together. There happened to be a piece of thick paper between the trigger guard and the rifle stock on the rear bolt. I hope that isn't meant to be a shim.

Other than it being a sob to clean out the barrel, its a rather nice rifle IMO. I did not and won't slug the bore but, the lands and groves appear sharply cut. I don't know what they coated the inside of that barrel with, but it sure is a X getting it all out.

Great thing, there's no hurry about setting it up and/or him having to have it back. That gives me all kinds of time to do things properly, make the correct torques and see what she'll do. Its actually fun and an honor that he asked.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Luke has the TEZ in 75 packs for 63 bucks, that's a pretty good deal. I have some T7 I can give you, I believe it is still sealed, my dad gave them to me when I converted his 700 over for BH..

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Luke has the TEZ in 75 packs for 63 bucks, that's a pretty good deal. I have some T7 I can give you, I believe it is still sealed, my dad gave them to me when I converted his 700 over for BH..
Well you can't ship/mail the T7, but I'd take it. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts