Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not the guy from YOOPER Outdoors...and yes the wolves are a big problem. The guy who shows up on Nov 14 the to hunt his spot that he has hunted for years might be in for a big surprise. The wolves can run the deer out of an area in a couple days. What we see is when the wolves move in the mature bucks bug out. They learn fast

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
When wolves are present in our area, we see more wolf tracks at bait piles than deer tracks. They hunt the bait like we do only at night. When only one or two wolves are around, the deer movement works in our favor. The deer seem to be more visible in the daytime but definitely more spooky. Luckily we haven't had wolves in some years. Have had a solo wolf the last couple years show up around our stands like a ghost but didn't see him this year.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Not the guy from YOOPER Outdoors...and yes the wolves are a big problem. The guy who shows up on Nov 14 the to hunt his spot that he has hunted for years might be in for a big surprise. The wolves can run the deer out of an area in a couple days. What we see is when the wolves move in the mature bucks bug out. They learn fast
Looks like I jacked this quote up somehow ...
If I recall - that guy covered a lot of ground like you do... & also got a big UP buck.

Once you find a good one on cam - how do you hunt it? Try to figure out where it's bedding?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Once you find a good one on cam - how do you hunt it? Try to figure out where it's bedding?
Mature bucks that live in a wilderness or semi-wilderness area don't bed in the same area everyday ......they are on the move and in search of does in heat mainly only resting and then moving.......thats why a mature buck can be seen anytime during legal hunting hours......only time they don't keep moving is staying with a doe to breed or a heavy storm they bed down.....
I've hunted in the UP since 1972, wolves have changed deer about as much as a clear cut has.....my father and partners started hunting the UP in 1953.....

·
Registered
804 Posts
Mature bucks that live in a wilderness or semi-wilderness area don't bed in the same area everyday ......they are on the move and in search of does in heat mainly only resting and then moving.......thats why a mature buck can be seen anytime during legal hunting hours......only time they don't keep moving is staying with a doe to breed or a heavy storm they bed down.....
I've hunted in the UP since 1972, wolves have changed deer about as much as a clear cut has.....my father and partners started hunting the UP in 1953.....
Good stuff - thanks. Love camps like yours that have tradition. Watched some of them on 906.
So hunt where the Does are - or possible buck travel routes. Figure if he's on cam - he must like the area.
Wolves probably knocked the population down quite a bit.
Still cool hunting the big woods & having a chance at a huge buck. I want to give it a try.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts