Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Two bucks of a lifetime in the same season is AWESOME! At least in Gogebic County where I hunted with family for many years, would have been considered all time best.

How have the wolves been in your area? I know for years the Matchwood area was crazy full of them for a time. No sign or sightings where my family hunts (north of Ironwood) for the last couple of seasons.

Whatever it is that you folks are doing to have such fantastic bucks to hunt is some mighty fine work. We always tried the let 'em go, let 'em grow. But neighboring camps. Not so much. A 3.5 year old buck was usually the best on the trail cams. A 4.5 + was rare.

Congrats!

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
I always post about wanting a u.p deer camp.. I'mma grab afeather tickler, ball gag and some leathers and join the Rainbow Warriors..

Looking at these bucks the hazing may be worth it

Just look for the flag 🏳️‍🌈

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Came out backwards....CH (Canadian hunter) is first pic...RPP (RED PINE PLANTATION) is 2nd
I always post about wanting a u.p deer camp.. I'mma grab afeather tickler, ball gag and some leathers and join the Rainbow Warriors..

Looking at these bucks the hazing may be worth it

Just look for the flag 🏳️‍🌈
Cmon up. I usually do all the cooking but can always use another chef I the kitchen

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
First opening day buck I nicknamed RPP...GREEN SCORED by myself at 146.
Second day buck I nicknamed CH Comes in @ 150..b&c scoring...these are rough scored by myself ...+ Or minus an inch or so...RPP IS FIRST PIC View attachment 799922
296" is a damn good season, for anywhere.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two bucks of a lifetime in the same season is AWESOME! At least in Gogebic County where I hunted with family for many years, would have been considered all time best.

How have the wolves been in your area? I know for years the Matchwood area was crazy full of them for a time. No sign or sightings where my family hunts (north of Ironwood) for the last couple of seasons.

Whatever it is that you folks are doing to have such fantastic bucks to hunt is some mighty fine work. We always tried the let 'em go, let 'em grow. But neighboring camps. Not so much. A 3.5 year old buck was usually the best on the trail cams. A 4.5 + was rare.

Congrats!
Yes wolves are bad in a few areas. If you see a lot of tracks you need to look elsewhere. A few miles away can be a big difference. The big bucks seem to leave when the wolves move in.

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
Wow! Those are both dandy UP bucks! We can get the age on them here in Dickinson but we can’t grow antlers like that. 10 point antlers are as rare as hen’s teeth around here. Congrats.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Yes wolves are bad in a few areas. If you see a lot of tracks you need to look elsewhere. A few miles away can be a big difference. The big bucks seem to leave when the wolves move in.
Congratulations! As camp cook when I owned "dirt" in the Copper Country, I was forbidden from cooking with garlic... How much land do you hunt? Yours or Public/CFR?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congratulations! As camp cook when I owned "dirt" in the Copper Country, I was forbidden from cooking with garlic... How much land do you hunt? Yours or Public/CFR?
I hunt public 99% of the time. I own 20 acres. Pretty much run trail cameras in about 100 sq miles just looking for mature bucks.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Nice bucks !

Its a shame the DNR doesn't care about who pays there salary and allows wolves to reck deer hunting....

Sold my home (deer camp) this year figured it was best to sell, wolves are out of control and deer numbers have disappeared. Went from feeding around 200 deer to last year 11 at times. Had 330 acres that locked out for any one else over 10 square miles, never saw a hunter in the past 14 years. There are many areas that a deer track hasn't been seen in years because of wolves.
I haven't even seen any moose sign in 2 years. I have several moose sheds that I've found over the years, and would see tracks many times a year.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I hunt public 99% of the time. I own 20 acres. Pretty much run trail cameras in about 100 sq miles just looking for mature bucks.
You the guy from 906 outdoors that did the legend of thunder mountain episodes? Lol

Nice bucks !

Its a shame the DNR doesn't care about who pays there salary and allows wolves to reck deer hunting....

Sold my home (deer camp) this year figured it was best to sell, wolves are out of control and deer numbers have disappeared. Went from feeding around 200 deer to last year 11 at times. Had 330 acres that locked out for any one else over 10 square miles, never saw a hunter in the past 14 years. There are many areas that a deer track hasn't been seen in years because of wolves.
I haven't even seen any moose sign in 2 years. I have several moose sheds that I've found over the years, and would see tracks many times a year.
What area?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts