Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just returned from camp (Alger Co) a couple hours ago, the number at the toll booth was -39%. I hunted every day in horrible weather (sunny skies, mid to upper 40's) from opener until this evening (light rain), seen three deer, all does, not uncommon for our area when the temps are this warm. What was odd was the lack of gun shots heard this year, only two opening day, and very few the rest of the week. My game cam's show more nocturnal movement and one decent buck, a 3.5 yr old 7 point. My son and I will be back up there next week, temps are supposed to drop so hopefully we will see more activity in the day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just returned from camp (Alger Co) a couple hours ago, the number at the toll booth was -39%. I hunted every day in horrible weather (sunny skies, mid to upper 40's) from opener until this evening (light rain), seen three deer, all does, not uncommon for our area when the temps are this warm. What was odd was the lack of gun shots heard this year, only two opening day, and very few the rest of the week. My game cam's show more nocturnal movement and one decent buck, a 3.5 yr old 7 point. My son and I will be back up there next week, temps are supposed to drop so hopefully we will see more activity in the day.

Not bad seeing 3 does considering you only hunt for 45min per day:lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not bad seeing 3 does considering you only hunt for 45min per day:lol::lol:
How would you know? Your leash don't stretch that far! You coming up for muzzle or more "high fence" hunting for you? Is Barb tagged out yet?:lol:

·
Registered
190 Posts
How would you know? Your leash don't stretch that far! You coming up for muzzle or more "high fence" hunting for you? Is Barb tagged out yet?:lol:

Don't forget who has muzzle loading braggin rights whoooooop.:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Came home tuesday and it was down 41%, i think i can see a trend this year. My assumptions for the low numbers is the new Buck law(hopefully we see the nicer bucks we passed this year next) and the warm temps. Felt like early october at camp this year. Hunted the first 3 days of season and heard 2 shots, one opening day anout 540 and one the second day ant about 1030. Typically dont hear many shots but going from 7-10 a day to 1 is pretty significant.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Our group had similar results. Mostly nocturnal movement. No bucks seen on camera. I hunted until this afternoon and I did not see 1 deer. One fork horn was passed. Other than that we averaged about 1 or 2 deer spotted per day. Even though we love hunting the UP I think next year we are heading out of state.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
I can't help but wonder what excuse the MDNR will use. Probably won't have nothing to do with the coyotes and wolfs, should be interesting too see what they say;)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I can't help but wonder what excuse the MDNR will use. Probably won't have nothing to do with the coyotes and wolfs, should be interesting too see what they say;)
Right now they are saying the harvest is about the same as last year's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can't see how the harvest is the same as last year. In the UP where we hunt the hunter numbers were down considerably and it sounds like the norm across the whole UP. Fewer hunters must of had great success to keep harvest numbers the same??????????

·
Registered
828 Posts
How about two hard winters in a row, that would be my guess. Fact, the harder a winter (snow depth/cold) the more successful the predators, especially T-wolves.

How about some wolf management, I have never seen more daring wolves in my life, they really don't seem too afraid of humans. Go to Ontario where you can hunt them (in most areas) and you never see wolves (and they got em) and if you are lucky enough to see one, they skin out pretty quick.

I also like the highly accurate method of tabulating the deer harvest numbers, what a joke.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I came across the bridge yesterday at 11am and it was at 34%. HAd to pick up my brother that I dropped off last friday. Everyday on stand since opener- 0 deer seen/ 1 shot heard. Saw a big plaited(sp) woodpecker though. Eckerman area. Just past Moran had a coyote run across in front of me and stand on the shoulder staring at me(left gun at home).:(

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I came across the bridge yesterday at 11am and it was at 34%. HAd to pick up my brother that I dropped off last friday. Everyday on stand since opener- 0 deer seen/ 1 shot heard. Saw a big plaited(sp) woodpecker though. Eckerman area. Just past Moran had a coyote run across in front of me and stand on the shoulder staring at me(left gun at home).:(
Thats one more shot than I heard up there :lol:

CB

·
Registered
188 Posts
What's funny is two or three days ago I posted that the DNR would end up making the numbers either the same as last year or higher in another thread. Low and behold.....they do not disappoint. Someone actually came to the defense of the DNR.

There was a hard winter two years ago and last winter broke pretty early compared to the past several. Last year November into December was above average, but after that things seemed to get better. The snow levels where we hunt were not excessive at all, nor were the temperatures. We expected a decent hunt this year and got just the opposite.

We have seen wolves while hunting and they are not spooked one bit. Had one see a buddy, it stopped stared him down and continued on his way walking leisurely.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
405Win,

My dad lives just North of Eckerman. He and my Uncle hunted for a day and a half and never saw a hair. My Uncle had apples on his bait pile for four days that never got hit. They quite hunting on the 2nd day. :(

I was thinking about going up for the ML opener...but now it sounds like a waste of time and gas. :mad:

GH

1 - 20 of 32 Posts