Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was planning on taking the dogs up for one more hunt this year. A few weeks ago my smaller setter Skye developed a cough. It sounded like a real deep horse cough. I watched her a few days and it seemed to away but it would come back every once in awhile when she got excited and breathing heavy. The last couple of days she really started hacking and it just wasn't right so we went to the vet today. They took xrays and checked her lungs and stuff and found a spot on her lungs. They said the cough could be kennel cough, dog flu or phenumia(or however you spell it):dizzy: .

I wasn't to thrilled about the outcome and she went into the spot on the lungs. She asked if she had any traumas recently and since we haven't been hunting and she's been laying around for the past month I said no. She said it was a very rare case to have a spot there and she gathered up the other vets and they came to the conclusion it was something that starts with a B, which is a pocket of air that built up in her lungs. They said by her coughing the way she was, it was putting stress and pressure out of the artery coming out of the heart going through the lungs which caused a pocket of air to build up in there. They can't do anything for it, I just have to contain her and not let her do anything until it goes away hopefully. Although, down side is it can bigger and burst and she can die from it. So luckily I am laid off right now where I can watch her 24 hrs a day. So $250 dollars later, no diagnosis on cough, found air pocket in lungs, weeks full of medicine which hopefully takes away cough which removes air pocket and I have to monitor all day. If cough is not gone by weekend end we have to go back do blood work to help determine more why she has this cough and more xrays to see if the air pocket is getting smaller or bigger. So not only a bad day here but season is now over. Hopefully she will be ok and be around for next hunting season, I swear I worry about my little hunting buddies like there kids lol.....:lol:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Hope everything turns out O.K. and she's back to normal soon. Brian.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Tough way to end the year, but it's good you addressed the problem early.

Hopefully the cough/air pocket will go away with the medication and rest.

Good luck!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sorry to hear this...best of luck with everything and I hope she returns to full health. There's plenty of hunting seasons to come, take care of your little girl. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.......We will see how she is after the weekend. I will keep everyone posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts