Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Swamp Boss,

I don't know if the correct "door clips" are available for a late model Malibu but I have a very nice Yakima roof rack system that has only been on a car a couple of times. I bought it in 1990 for my wifes 1987 Honda. It worked great the couple of times we used it. But shortly after we'd used it the second time, that car was totaled. She then got a Saturn. We just never seemed to have a need for the rack so it just got put in the basement.

It's an SST MK II rack system. It has a set of gunwale brackets on it. I also have a fairing kit for it that has never even been put on. I think I paid almost $200 for the rack and brackets. I got the fairing kit (about $50 worth) for FREE because I had a heck of a time installing the rack the first time I tried because of an error in their instruction sheet. I wrote a letter to them complaining about the error and they sent me an apology letter along with the free fairing kit ! That was completely unexpected but appreciated. That is what I call customer service !!

If you find that the correct door clips for your car are available for that particular rack, make me an offer and I'll let it go. It's just sitting in my basement collecting dust. I'd be glad to make you a good deal and get one more thing out of my way. :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i believe that you can buy the clips from jays and cabelas (jays for sure). we looked into getting some for our car from jays a few months back, and it cost about 200 for all the parts. each car takes a different kind of bracket (some do cross over though).

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the "clips" are about $25 per set. (You need TWO sets per car. One for each bar). I think you're right. Some clips may work on different vehicles. Just need to find out WHICH ONES. :)

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I'm having a garage sale starting tomorrow in Flint and I have car top carriers in it that was on a 1986 chev. 4 door. Don't know if you can use them or how far away you live.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JPoll,

I called Yakima and unfortunately it looks like they don't manufacture clips compatible w/my car and your rack system. Thank you for providing enough info though- it was very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts