Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished hard all night friday into saturday morning and saturday night. Fished Sunday late morning and went home. 1 hit all weekend. Didn't see any fish landed. Talked to other pier and nothing also. Water temp lake and harbor side was 66 degrees. 3 weekends ago it was 58 in lake, 61 in harbor. Winds were ENE, ESE with no lake flip. Talked to a couple groups of river guys and it was slow for them also. Didin't talk to boat guys but seen most going out deep. Boat traffic going out and coming in at prime time sucks. Planned on fishing live bait for kings this weekend but couldn't find any baitfish. Rivers should see a push of fish this week with some rain and North winds expected. These fish have been hard to come by this season, even the boaters have been complaining.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I'm not trying to be negitive, really I swear...but are there really any good #s left out there? I have only seen sporadic decent reports and fishing really stunk during prime season earlier this month for me. Not that I'm any regular or expert but this was by far my worst year pier fishing when I had the chance to get up there. Either a really bad year or a continuing sign of bad things for Chinooks in our waters. I need to fish for steel more often like you do. I know you are looking forward to that from your reports over the years. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A friend and I were out in frankfort on the 23 doing a little casting and also had spawn on the bottom. We drove from Livonia so we didn't get there until 2 AM. We were the only ones out there until about 4 and there wasn't much action. Did land my first pier salmon at 430 and my friend had one hookup which he lost while i was fooling around with the fish on the pier. After that we didn't see any action and we fished until about 9 AM. Both of our hookups were on green glow ko wobblers. 12 lb female king
12043014_10205198241021600_4323835462923036344_n.jpg

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice job. It makes all the difference getting just one fish. NE winds expected to blow through the week into the weekend. The warm water should leave. Should be some fresh blood on the piers here very soon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not trying to be negitive, really I swear...but are there really any good #s left out there? I have only seen sporadic decent reports and fishing really stunk during prime season earlier this month for me. Not that I'm any regular or expert but this was by far my worst year pier fishing when I had the chance to get up there. Either a really bad year or a continuing sign of bad things for Chinooks in our waters. I need to fish for steel more often like you do. I know you are looking forward to that from your reports over the years. Thanks for the report.
I completely agree with you that the run was not even close to what it was even just 2 or 3 years ago... I have a couple of friends in GH area that fish almost on a daily basis and they feel the same. We were lucky to get one good day of fishing a northern harbor and that harbor is usually full of fish for a couple of weeks in mid Sept. I do't want to admit it yet but this has been a case for kings for the past few years now. I hope it levels out and does not completely disappear because there is no other fish that pulls as hard as a large king in the great lakes..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fished hard all night friday into saturday morning and saturday night. Fished Sunday late morning and went home. 1 hit all weekend. Didn't see any fish landed. Talked to other pier and nothing also. Water temp lake and harbor side was 66 degrees. 3 weekends ago it was 58 in lake, 61 in harbor. Winds were ENE, ESE with no lake flip. Talked to a couple groups of river guys and it was slow for them also. Didin't talk to boat guys but seen most going out deep. Boat traffic going out and coming in at prime time sucks. Planned on fishing live bait for kings this weekend but couldn't find any baitfish. Rivers should see a push of fish this week with some rain and North winds expected. These fish have been hard to come by this season, even the boaters have been complaining.
When the water temps are in the mid 60's and the wind is out of the SE find something or somewhere else to fish, or do. Soon enough the temps will drop and the fishing will turn on. When you have people still swimming in the lake don't waste your time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Luck has it me and my friend have a few days off so headed up (likely frankfort again) tue into wed for the night bite. Hittin it again with spawn and spoons so I hope to have another positive report. Better to have a lousy report than nothing i guess and were hoping we can take advantage of the post eclipse moon, if that even has a positive effect. Ill be bringing the cast net again but I could not for the life of me locate any baitfish. Any advice on the subject? Im a total novice on cast netting and while my throw improved we were casting open water. Im assuming they may have not been in there, but do you typically see schools when you throw a net?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Luck has it me and my friend have a few days off so headed up (likely frankfort again) tue into wed for the night bite. Hittin it again with spawn and spoons so I hope to have another positive report. Better to have a lousy report than nothing i guess and were hoping we can take advantage of the post eclipse moon, if that even has a positive effect. Ill be bringing the cast net again but I could not for the life of me locate any baitfish. Any advice on the subject? Im a total novice on cast netting and while my throw improved we were casting open water. Im assuming they may have not been in there, but do you typically see schools when you throw a net?
Even in the years we had a great deal of bait, this would be late in the year at northern ports to gather alewife. Seems like you might do better to find a bait shop ( maybe in Beulah or Benzonia?) with some blues or greys, tail trim them so they can't swim too well, and rig them under a bobber, sort of like a shrimp for skamania. You wouldn't likely catch a king, but a coho, steel, or Brown would be achievable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
nice job. It makes all the difference getting just one fish. NE winds expected to blow through the week into the weekend. The warm water should leave. Should be some fresh blood on the piers here very soon.
Nice fish. We are hoping to get up there this weekend.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
You won't find many alewive swimming around in warm water. I don't even take my cast net when the water is over 60.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Should be a good weekend water temps dropped and the forecast is calling for overcast skies and cooler temps for the weekend.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Was out last night with the boys from about 5-9 pm...of course a few were caught in the hour before we got there, and as usually our presence shut that right down.

Clear water...there were many fishing swimming the length of the pier...can't tell what they were but they sure looked like salmonids to my untrained eyes. Some bait schools. Couldn't get any bait either.

But nothing would bite.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts