Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the North winds I just had to get over to Lake Michigan for some pier action. SurfDog and I arrived at about 1 AM on 8/16 and left at 9:30 AM with a our 6 fish limit of Kings. In that 9.5 hour time frame we put 18 fish on the pier (15 kings and 3 Lake Trout). It was about 50/50 between glow spoons under the darkness and alewives as the light started to creap in well into the morning. We could have been limited out by 4 AM but we kept releasing fish to stay out and enjoy the conditions. The fish were still around as we were leaving, and TONS of bait had crowed the piers. The kings ranged in weight from 22-9 to just around 10. The big fish was the biggest king I've seen in the past 2 years period. Wolverine Cobras were the ticket.

Here is the big boy...(autopsy later confirmed this was a male)

on the scale

Our 6 fish limit

The big one makes the 2 16 lbs look tiny...

We will be patrolling the coast every weekend now through October...see ya round..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Awesome trip...too bad you had to see about a girl or we could have really put up some numbers...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but at least I didn't loose a $200 cutsom made bait rod to the fishing gods of Lake Michigan..................

·
Registered
163 Posts
You shoulda named him , one bad motha!!!!!!.that is a sweet pic big congrads to ya !. ? how long did it take to get him in ?, musta been a whole lotta fun cant wait till next weekend to get here .:):fish:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You shoulda named him , one bad motha!!!!!!.that is a sweet pic big congrads to ya !. ? how long did it take to get him in ?, musta been a whole lotta fun cant wait till next weekend to get here .:):fish:
It was maybe a ten minute fight, probably less... he made three good runs but the combination of a good rod/reel/line really helped. I almost thought he was foul hooked with the lack of control I had over him on the first couple of runs, but when he got close to the pier and we got a good look at him we both just said "that's a big ------- fish".

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Awesome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts