Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Winchester rem. 7mm mag. Rifle and I loaned it out.they bought ammo in a 7mm wsm. One round was fired before realizing the wrong bullets were purchased. Could this have consequences on the rifle?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Yes.
Trying to figure out how the cartridge was fired in that rifle....cases between the two are totally different, think rim size is too.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Cases are based off the same round but the STW is almost 0.300" longer than the Rem mag, I don't see any way the bolt could close to cock and fire the gun. I'll take the extra STW ammo off your hands....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sorry, I must be having issues. .WSM.. not STW. .. yeah I thought those were a larger diameter case.
Take it to a gunsmith and have them check it out.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Something is not adding up here. A 7mm WSM has a case diameter of .555 and a rebated rim of .535. A 7mm Rem Mag has a case diameter of only .512 and a rim diameter of .532. It should not chamber. And if it did, the neck of WSM cartridge would be completely blown out. There is .4" different in case length so no way the cartridge was fully seated in the chamber. Something is a miss.

Are you sure they didn't fire a 7mm Express round...aka .280 Remington? Or maybe a 7mm Mauser...aka 7x57??

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
"SM" is absolutely correct ... in fact, there is no way the WSM could have been chambered at all. The nominal diameter at the start of the shoulder of the WSM is .538" ... that's .025 larger than the base of the Rem Mag and even .006 larger than the diameter around the belt. I suppose, with a large enough hammer, almost anything is possible but, with just the bolt trying to close ... no way!

Have a serious talk with your "friend" and find out just exactly what he bought. Take a good look at the box of ammo he bought and, if it's really not for the Rem Mag, have a smith carefully examine the bolt and bolt face plus the chamber and throat area.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that the poster actually has a 7mm Remington ULTRA Mag and not a regular 7mm Remington Mag. The WSM might chamber however the case would be blown out and the reach from seated bullet to throat/barrel would be a long jump. Would be surprised that it would not cause major visible damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stand corrected. The round will not go into barrel. No possible way,it was an assumption the round was fired. Sorry for jumpin the gun..."lol

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
well did the bullet leave the barrel?
remove bolt and inspect with light.

can you post a pic of the fired shell pls?
It is all over. No photos. In the msg posted about 2 hours before yours the person who asked the question found out that the gun was not fired. He admitted that he had just guess it had been fired.

None the less, this has been an interesting thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts