·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hook- TMC 200 Size 8
Thread- Black 3/0 waxed monocord
Tailing- 2 Black Goose Biots
Under body- Dental tape
Abdomen- Black and Tan Bug Wrap (flytyersdungeon.com)
Wingcases- Black Swiss straw
Thorax- Black rabbit dubbing and black indian hackle
Antennas-2 Black Goose Biots

Step 1. Lay thread base to just past the hook barb and tie in black Bug Wrap. Build up a small ball of 3 wraps on top of each other to split the tailing and to keep the weave from sliding back over the tailing then cut off Bug Wrap.

Step 2. Tie in the Goose biots for tailing and the Bug Wrap. Black on the side nearest You and tan on the far side.

Step 3. Tie in the Dental tape ontop of the hook shank near the eye of hook and tie down all the way back tight to the tailing.

Step 4.Build up the under body with the dental tape using very snug pulls on each wrap to fuze the wax together. I work the tape back and forth until I like the size of the under body then tie off 1/4 of the body short of the hook eye and whip finnish to cut the bobbin loose for the weave then flaten the dental tape with needle nose for a slim abdomen.

Step 5. Start the weave( over hand knot or called a granny weave)

Step 6. The black stays on top and is always under the tan bug wrap when making the knot before sliding it over the hook shank.(take a good look at the photo to understand the weave)

Step 7. Here the weave is done and ready for the thorax section.

Step 8. Tie in the swiss straw and black hackle.

Step 9. I use a loose dubbing of black rabbit for the thorax.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Step 10. Palmer the hackle 2 wraps and tie off.

Step 11. Fold the swiss straw back alittle using a bodkin needle to form the first wing case.

Step 12. More dubbing for the second wing case to go over.

Step 13. Fold over the swiss straw again for the second wing case and tie in 2 goose biots for antennas along the side extending to the rear of the back wing case and finish off the head with a whip finish.
Trim the hackle off the bottom of the fly and brush out the under dubbing.
Look into the fly photo gallery for larger photo's
Brent

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Love those stonefly patterns and I'm always looking for a new one.

I've seen your pictures before WC....the stonefly master :bowdown: :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts