Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Would you vote for a private firm to take over and run the DNR?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would you vote for a private firm to take over and run the DNR?

This poll is for the overall DNR. I probably should of posted it in sound off.

I know many folks have not liked may of the moves the DNR has done in the last few years.
Is it time for change?

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why, I think they do a pretty good job with the limited resources available to them. You have to remember the guys and girls we see in green are just pawns the big players tell them what to do.
That is my exact point. No disrespect to the CO that are on the beat they are doing what they are told to do.. It is the ones in the offices that call the shots. If went private the state would not need to fund any of it like vehicles, buildings, etc.
Would it benefit hunters and fisherman?

· Premium Member
31,846 Posts
Interesting concept. I'm all for privatization in most situations. Perhaps trying it out with the deer herd would be a good place to start if that works, then consider the whole DNR.
I think Dr. Alt is in the private sector now, wonder if he'd be interested.:)
Big T

· Registered
15,937 Posts
QDMA? Sure.

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Interesting concept. I'm all for privatization in most situations. Perhaps trying it out with the deer herd would be a good place to start if that works, then consider the whole DR.
I think Dr. Alt is in the private sector now, wonder if he'd be interested.:)
Big T
Lots of city are contracting out there police and other jobs. Look at Black water they are military contractors. I think we will see more contracting business in this country in all areas in the next 5 years.

Could it be ran much more efficient under the private sector? I am saying yes..A lot less BS and politics will get in the way. Then maybe Dove hunting would still be around.

· Premium Member
17,594 Posts
Nope. And I'm all for privitizing many things since I work for a contracter that does just that....and at a much higher level of quality for that matter. In this case I don't see what contracted biologist could do better than state paid biologists etc. It would or could be run more efficiently thats a guarantee....but that only helps the financial end of it and not the wildlife managemanet of it. I am not one of the many DNR haters on this site. The politics are another seperate issue.....a much more difficult issue to address.
Our DNR will never make everyone happy, nor should they.

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. And I'm all for privitizing many things since I work for a contracter that does just that....and at a much higher level of quality for that matter. In this case I don't see what contracted biologist could do better than state paid biologists etc. It would or could be run more efficiently thats a guarantee....but that only helps the financial end of it and not the wildlife managemanet of it. I am not one of the many DNR haters on this site. The politics are another seperate issue.....a much more difficult issue to address.
I am no means a DNR hater. I was just seeing what other folks opinion was on this issue. Plus private scientist how much more research could they do above and beyond just for wildlife in the lab?

· Premium Member
31,846 Posts
Swamp.
I'm guessing that there would be a bunch of unemployed deer biologists that would become private contractor and be able to work without political strings attached.
I'm always encouraged when I have a chance to get the views of some of our MDNR wildlife biologists...when they're "off the record".;)
Figure out a way for the contractors to get paid for performance and get out of the way. No reason to believe privatized contractors wouldn't provide a higher quality just as your employer does.
Of course there would inevitably be government oversite of the contractors so they wouldn't be running willy nilly.
I'll volunteer to do the interviewing.:D

Big T

· Registered
4,310 Posts
I believe that competition is a good thing! As long as the DNR wants to operate under the guise of a buisness out to profit off of taxpayers dollars we might as well have some competition and see if we can't get a better bang for our buck.

· Banned
5,168 Posts
It certainly would be easier to get rid of one company and get another if they were not getting the results sportsman wanted, than reorganizing at the top level(government) and we all know the big money is wasted in and around politics

· Premium Member
31,846 Posts
Other than the military, what governmental deptartment couldn't be run better by the private sector?

Big T

· Premium Member
17,594 Posts
Swamp.
I'm guessing that there would be a bunch of unemployed deer biologists that would become private contractor and be able to work without political strings attached.
I'm always encouraged when I have a chance to get the views of some of our MDNR wildlife biologists...when they're "off the record".;)
Figure out a way for the contractors to get paid for performance and get out of the way. No reason to believe privatized contractors wouldn't provide a higher quality just as your employer does.
Of course there would inevitably be government oversite of the contractors so they wouldn't be running willy nilly.
I'll volunteer to do the interviewing.:D

Big T
No argument from me on that. I guess my take was that we already have good biologists imo...and my opinion isn't much since I'm not a biologist. The hamstrung part as we all know is a problem....but sometimes private contractors are just as hamstrung by gov't regulations as the gov't employee. Lots of variables in these types of contracts, and oversite is always a big one. The more I have thought about it, the more I think it certainly could be a viable option. In this case, things like vehicles and equipment could be sold off to the contractor (usually heavily discounted though) yet the contractor fees would still cover these items such as purchasing maintenance, fuel etc.....somebody has to pay for that, and license fees will not go directly to a contractor, they will go to the state, and the state will use those sales to pay the contractor fee. It might more feasable due to efficiency, better financial management.... and much less in the way of pension and retirement benefits but it's still going to be a large expense that is fully covered with tax payer dollars. It could work...I'd love to be on the RFP and bid negotiation end of the deal. Would be very interesting.

· Registered
3,838 Posts
Dedicated conservative that I am, I generally favor private sector over public. One of the few exceptions is when it comes to what I would consider to be a public trust, such as land, water and other natural resources that impact everyone. I also oppose the privatizing of the prison system for the same reasons.

· Premium Member
17,594 Posts
I don't think the process would be as transparent as it should be if it were privatized. For all it's flaws, it is a fairly transparent process.
Sib is correct. There would be basic financial breakdowns based on contracted services etc, but much of the financial data would not likely be available as easy as it now. Private companies have competition that will likely bid against them in the future and some financial info is kept close to the vest, no reason to give the competition info that would allow them to severely undercut your bid. A lot would depend on the RFP from the state....again, lots of variables.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.