1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
with rebates. I guess it depends on how far your shooting and with what. For the spray and pray crowds, sure!. But, for those of us that hold to long range standards I guess its different.
Rest assured, any 150-165-180-200-220 load in an 06 will surely kill any deer, but one has to remember accuracy too. Cheap or surplus ammo is usually great for short range, but not the ticket for long range.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with rebates. I guess it depends on how far your shooting and with what. For the spray and pray crowds, sure!. But, for those of us that hold to long range standards I guess its different.
Rest assured, any 150-165-180-200-220 load in an 06 will surely kill any deer, but one has to remember accuracy too. Cheap or surplus ammo is usually great for short range, but not the ticket for long range.

I am sighting in the rifle for 100yards. Now I know I can take longer range shots then that. But I think that most of my hunting situations are going to be 100yards or less.

I was not going to actually use this ammo for hunting. I know that a higher quality ammo will fire different. But being I have never fired a round through this rifle. I have been told I need to put some rounds down range. Before I spend money on the actual ammo that I will be hunting with. So I figured for 100 rounds I will have the rifle shooting consistantly dead on with this ammo. Then I can go with the actual ammo I will hunting with. Then sight the rifle in with that ammo.

Price wise if I get the same amount of ammo I am going to be hunting with it will cost me 40 dollars more for the same amount of this bulk ammo. So I figured I could spend the same amount of money and get this bulk ammo for the break in and intitial sight in. Then I can shoot the expensive stuff after I break the rifle in.

Or should I just buy the ammo I am going to hunt with.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I always sight in ALL of my guns with the ammunition that I plan to hunt with.That way you know what that bullet is going to do with no questions asked.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always sight in ALL of my guns with the ammunition that I plan to hunt with.That way you know what that bullet is going to do with no questions asked.

But don't I have to break in the barrell first before the actual sight in. The rifle is bore sighted so that should put me on paper. But being it is a brand new rifle I have been told it needs to be burned in or broken in before I actually sight the rifle in.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't see a problem with what you are proposing. As long as you sight it in before hunting season with the ammo you'll be hunting with you should be fine. All you're looking to do is put some rounds through it.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see a problem with what you are proposing. As long as you sight it in before hunting season with the ammo you'll be hunting with you should be fine. All you're looking to do is put some rounds through it.

That is exactly what I have planned. Actually I plan on shooting all 100 rounds. Then clean the barrell. Then shoot at least one box of the ammo I will be hunting with to sight it in all on the same day. So total rounds spent will be around 120 if everything goes as planned.

I already have a gun vise to place the gun in for sighting it in. Then I will sight the rifle in for me. You know so when I am holding it and shooting it, the rifle will be dead on. Yeah I know kinda Military style sighting in the weapon. But there is mechanical zero, then my zero.

Mechanical zero means that the rifle is shoots when fired by itself like being in a guun vise. Zero is what I need to set the sights at so it will hit bullseye when I fire the rifle.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
First off breaking in a gun is an old wives tale. You can shoot that 100 rounds up and all youll have is a bruised shoulder. What you need to do is clean it of all grease and oil and then sight it in. Usually 50 yards then to 100. I pull a bore snake through after 20 rounds a few times and thats sufficient.
For instance, when out west shooting P-dogs we might shoot 50 rounds before pulling the bore snake though the barrel. Then do it again. There are far to many that say you need to break in barrels, and many who say its a waste of time. Ive never seen any reason to break in a barrel myself.If we can make 500 yard shots with no problem, Id say 100-200 are pretty easy on a deer.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my first big rifle. My .22lr I just went to the range and shot it all day for 5 bucks in ammo. But I would not take that .22lr on a deer hunt. But I have taken a lot of ground hogs with it and squirrels too.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Theres two different lines of thought about barrel break in. Some are for it and some against. A factory barrel has tool marks and burrs in it from cutting the rifling in it. After so many rounds are through it it is in a sense, polished and will be easier to clean and foul less. I have seen some of my rifles shoot a little better and also with a bit more velocity with the same loads after I put a number of rounds through it. But normal shooting will do that in time anyway. If you had a custom barrel, they are hand lapped and don't need it. Some guys fire lap but that's another thread.

More importantly getting that ammo will give you some inexpensive time behind the gun to become familar with it and practice your shooting. Plus when that big buck steps out in front of you and you get buck fever, you'll still have that muscle memory to click off the safety :lol:

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I have forgotten to take the safety off a few times while hunting with my shotgun. You go to pull the trigger and nothing, then the deer spots you and takes off running. Then your like crap I forgot the safety.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Make sure you clean the barrel BEFORE you shoot it. I've seen too many new guns still with metal shavings in it. Talk about improper break in! The only gun I've ever had that truly needed to be broken in was my .204. It took about 80 rounds to get it to settle in. All my big bore guns, it make little or no difference how it got broken in. If you're shooting deer at 100 yards, I wouldn't even worry about it.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I agree with Huntsman27. Break in is blown out of proportion most times. If it was a competition benchrest rifle, it is slightly different.

Clean the gun, run a box (20) through it and sight it in with the rounds you will hunt with.

Remington has a $5 / box rebate right now and the CoreLokt is a heck of a whitetail bullet. Buy 2 boxes of the weight you will hunt with (limit 2 boxes for the rebate), have your wife do the same (be sure to get the same lot#), you will have 4 boxes of the ammo you will hunt with.

Burn up a box and a half "breaking it in" and sight in, and you have plenty to hunt with and for sight in/hunting the following year.

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
Here's my .02. I see a guy with his first centerfire rifle. Go ahead and get the inexpensive ammo. Clean your rifle and head to the range. Spend some time on the bench to verify your zero and to get a feel for your new rifle. Howdoes it feed? How is the trigger? Is it ejecting smoothly. Take your time. If you want to "break in" your barrel then clean after the first 5, 10, 15, 20, and 40 shots. If nothing else you'll be allowing your barrel to cool. After you have run 20-40 rounds through your rifle and got a feel for it and how it groups I would fire the remaining 60 rounds from field postions. Sitting, kneeling, prone, and standing. Again, it will help you to familiarize yourself with your new rifle and it's flat out good practice for any hunter. Take a few shots where you start with your rifle down and bring it up and on target as quickly as you can. Accurately. Shoot a few rounds cycling the bolt as quickly as you can. Accurately. Spread it out over a couple range sessions. Once you've burn through your 100 rounds then re-zero with the ammo you plan to use while hunting.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I donno... at $.93 / round that doesn't sound like much of a deal to me.

As for barrel break in... The purpose is to burnish the bore, deburr it and make it shoot better by reducing the tendency to foul. All of my custom tubes have come with break in instructions whether it is from Shilen, Hart or Douglas, etc. Everything I buy to put together is hand lapped and air gauged. I follow their instructions and get very minimal copper fouling. Whether that is due to the break-in or the finish from the mfr I have no idea. I've had some factory tubes that required hours of sweet 7.62 and a stiff brush to get the copper out, then again I've had some that don't foul much at all...

Put a couple down range, 5 or so and then let it cool and clean it and evaluate. If it shows to be loading up with copper fouling take the time to clean it and then repeat. Some will get better with age, some will just suck forever.

I think you can do better on the ammo price too... If all you want to do is get some time in behind the trigger, the cheapest ammo you can find would fit the bill for now.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I didn't realize this was only 100 rounds (for some reason I was thinking it was 200). Yeah, it's not a good deal when you can get the Remington Core Lokt in 150 or 180 grn for $17.99 + the rebate (up to $10 on 2 boxes). That is some good ammo for deer. I think you live close to Cabela's and could get 5 boxes out the door for $85.35 with tax and after rebate. Some other ammo that is really good is the Federal Power Shok ammo in 150 and 180 grain. That's some great ammo I used years ago before I started loading and it's never let me down. It's on sale for $15.29/box so 100 would be $89.93 delivered to your door. Both are far superior ammo and you can practice and hunt with the same stuff for less.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I will be down at Cabelas this week buying ammo anyways. I need shotgun game load, steelshot, .22LR, sabot slugs, and maybe even pick a couple boxes of 40 S&W up too. As well as the 30-06 ammo. So I will be dropping about 250 dollars on ammo this weekend.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Here is what I would do-
1) Clean the gun.
2) Go out and buy a box each of 150gr, 165gr, and 180gr ammo.
3) Hit the range and see what YOUR gun likes between those bullet grains.

Any questions, IM me. I'll be glad to help out.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My offer still stands for target/range time! I have everything that you need except for sand bags. If you want go just let me know...right off the I-94 service drive, exit 150 Grass Lake.

It took me a very long time re-loading 06 rounds before I could find a load the out preformed the Remington Accutip in 150 grain!

Always check the barrel temperature. You can burn out the barrel before you know it!

After one box you may not even want to fire the other.

I do love the bore snake, but always clean and brush when I get home from the range.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 38 Posts