Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

I would be willing to pay $ or I would never pay for a CWD test?

• $10

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • $20

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • $30

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • $40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • $60

• $70

• $80

• $90

• $100

• I would never pay for a CWD test

Votes: 8 42.1%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say for the puspose of this poll a deer is found in Michigan or close (within 50 miles) to it's border to have CWD. First I would like to find out if people would have their deer tested for CWD. If they would, what is the most money they would be willing to spend to have it tested.

Thank you,

Tim Baker

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
If CWD ever shows up in Mi, I bet you see attitudes change. A $20-30 test may be a very popular item.

·
Registered
36,658 Posts
I already do have my deer tested, here's my results.

BTW instead of paying a fee, the DNR gives you a real nice patch. Sportsman please take your deer head in to be tested. If the disease enters our state I'm sure most everyone wants to know asap.

Species Sample Number Testing Procedure Date Results Age Gender
Deer 378640 CWD 12/19/2003 Negative 5.5 Female

No evidence of chronic wasting disease was found in your deer.

You will be sent a postcard with this message. The postcard will also include the sex, age, and date submitted.

We appreciate your cooperation. It would be impossible for us to collect the information we need for Chronic Wasting Disease surveillance in the deer herd without your help.
Thank you again.

MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
Rose Lake Wildlife Disease Laboratory
8562 E. Stoll Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823 (517) 373-9358
DNR Website Address: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr
Emerging Diseases Website:http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases

·
Registered
36,658 Posts
Tim Baker

I took my deer head to a DNR field office on 12/8/03. The DNR employee stayed on his own time to check it in since the office was already closed. This guy was great and spent another hour of his free time explaining various diseases.

I have not yet received my post card but got my results on line and posted them on the disease forum when I did. My original post was on 12/9/03 on the disease forum to tell hunters to turn in their deer heads.

BTW I would hope more this thread and these forums convinces more hunters to participate in voluntary deer registration program. We all need to know about pending diseases that may be lurking in our deer herd.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also had the DNR check my deer. They were at the processors doing their thing. It took about 4 weeks for the card to be mailed.
This was during 1st bow season (Oct.), the worker also stated that if there was a problem that you would be notified sooner. It also stated the same info as Luv2 posted. I have had every deer I have ever harvested (33 deer since 1984) checked by the DNR, so why would I pay for it now? I believe this should be a mandatory part of buying a deer tag. Funny thing is I have never gotten a deer hunters survey from them, but I have got the waterfowl and small game though.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
My results took less than 2 weeks, but I think they only tested for TB. Last year, one was tested for CWD and TB and it took close to 4 wks for the results.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Why pay for something that is free now......

However, I would if CW starts to show up in Michigan......
I would make sure that mine get tested.....

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I believe this should be a mandatory part of buying a deer tag. Funny thing is I have never gotten a deer hunters survey from them, but I have got the waterfowl and small game though.
What a concept! MANDATORY disease testing. We could even piggy-back deer registration in this process. Oops, I probably just killed the plan with that suggestion :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dan

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I asked the question is that the company I work for is thinking of investing in equipment that could be used for testing for CWD. The equipment can also be used for other Prions (Prions are the infectious agents responsible for afflictions such as BSE, Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease, and Chronic wasting disease). We could use the equipment to become a certified USDA lab as well.

Just guessing but if CWD was found in MI the DNR could become overwhelmed with requests. That's why I asked the poll based on a positive deer being found in the state.

Thanks for voting,

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts