Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Would you support the spearing of panfish species through the ice statewide?

• Yes

Votes: 93 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 57 38.0%
1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
11,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fisheries Order 219.18 specifies spearing regulations, and currently panfish spearing through the ice is not allowed, with the exception of perch on Lake St. Clair.

Fishing license sales have precipitously fallen since their peak of approximately 2 million in the late 80's. Youth recruitment and retention is paramount to reduce this trend and preserve resources for future generations. Opportunities providing high levels of action create an excellent chance for youth to establish an early and potentially lasting love of the outdoors. Panfish spearing has the potential to be just this gateway activity. Equipment required is minimal, it would be enjoyed from the warmth of a shanty, and the visual stimulation combined with the physical action and alertness of actively "hunting " plentiful species, albeit in a challenging way, would thoroughly enjoyed by youth and adults alike.

I'd like to hear thoughts both in favor of, or opposed to, and gauge interest.

All constructive input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have not seen what a pan fish spear looks like but it would seem that a good portion of the edible meat would be destroyed. What percentage of the fish would not be kept because it would not be worth the effort?
Maybe you could make nice fillets out of all the speared pan fish.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have not seen what a pan fish spear looks like but it would seem that a good portion of the edible meat would be destroyed. What percentage of the fish would not be kept because it would not be worth the effort?
Maybe you could make nice fillets out of all the speared pan fish.
Tines with a smaller diameter are used to make perch spears, this negates the meat loss. One of the cheap frog gig spear heads commonly found in most fishing sections would also suffice.

I would assume that when speaking of meat loss, you are in reference of larger spears, which are constructed to take larger fish such as pike musky and sturgeon.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm for it. Sounds like a good time. I think it was legal here at one time, my grandma used to tell me stories about spearing all types of fish back in the 1920's and 30's. She told me she once speared a muskrat that was coming in the shanty with her. I'd like to have been there for that!

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Super Moderator
35,027 Posts
The OP actually thinks that expanding a sport practiced by almost no one, while thousands are book and line fishing already, is somehow the answer to declining license sales?

Hint, allowing people to spear bluegill isn't going to get Johnny off the couch, and to put down his nintendo.
I think we all know that... it wouldnt change a thing. Could be fun for those who already are into spearing though. Might sell a few more spears to guys who get frustrated by the big pannies that just stare.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts