Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tornado Jim
19,975 Posts
Either way it would be good times.

http://bit.ly/1vCVmFw
I think I would have done what I have seen in several other videos done successfully. Call my buds (you since your truck is loaded with equipment) to bring tools and separate them. In fact, I would probably saw off the living ones antlers if I could, then be on the lookout for him next year. :lol:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I would have called my deerless uncle so we could each shoot one!! Lol

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Hard to say, I think i'd save it (or at least attempt to). Not sure how much enjoyment i'd get by walking up on deer that can't run away and kill them. I like to show off the bucks I shoot, not sure i'd feel good about it. But, if they had been locked up for a couple days the one that was still alive would probably still end up dieing from all the stress.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Hard to say, I think i'd save it (or at least attempt to). Not sure how much enjoyment i'd get by walking up on deer that can't run away and kill them. I like to show off the bucks I shoot, not sure i'd feel good about it. But, if they had been locked up for a couple days the one that was still alive would probably still end up dieing from all the stress.
X2....Not much interest in shooting handicapped deer.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
There was an article in Woods-N-Water News a few years back of a big racked deer locked together with another one. The difference between these two stories is the buck in Michigan was dragging around the deer it had been fighting with. It had died for whatever reason.

The buck was shot. I've also seen video of BRAVE people untangling bucks locked together. In one video they used huge bolt cutters or loppers and cut part of an antler to free them.

It would be a cool mount with both locked together. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
My friend shot this one a few years back. It came across an open field, and was over a quarter mile from where it could have gotten onto our land. One of the deer had died quite a while before he shot it. The hair was starting to slip on the dead one.

·
Tornado Jim
19,975 Posts
My friend shot this one a few years back. It came across an open field, and was over a quarter mile from where it could have gotten onto our land. One of the deer had died quite a while before he shot it. The hair was starting to slip on the dead one.

I cannot figure out what this picture is showing.

What is the orange stuff?

And which one did your friend shoot. I see two of them.

·
Premium Member
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

In this case both bucks were fighting and both bucks were still very much alive. The way he talks about the kill he seemed to not realize they were stuck. I would definitely not hesitate to shoot them both if that were the case. I think it would be a great story behind the kills.

If I came across a live buck stuck to a dead buck or stuck to something else, I want to believe I would want rescue it with some good film footage at least. There would be many variables though in my decision based on the individual circumstances. I would never change the facts of the story behind it though if I killed it. Just coming across this situation alone would be rare.

·
Premium Member
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I would have done what I have seen in several other videos done successfully. Call my buds (you since your truck is loaded with equipment) to bring tools and separate them. In fact, I would probably saw off the living ones antlers if I could, then be on the lookout for him next year. :lol:
Yep, a whole new use for a Silky. We would start off with a Zubat and finish up with the 20' Hayauchi.........:lol:.

·
Premium Member
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would have called my deerless uncle so we could each shoot one!! Lol
Count me in on the good times!!!

By the way I shot doe Saturday, but it ran to the neighbors. He does not allow me to retrieve deer. I am still deerless.:eek::yikes:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Count me in on the good times!!!

By the way I shot doe Saturday, but it ran to the neighbors. He does not allow me to retrieve deer. I am still deerless.:eek::yikes:
Sh!!!y!!

·
Premium Member
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you f'ing kidding? This wouldn't be the same neighbor who loves snow fence?
Yep Tom that be the one. I am a skinny 18 acres and unfortunately comes with this neighbor.

Just to clear I am very careful when I decide to shoot a deer just because of this fact.

One of my comfort zones is when a deer comes from my property heading towards his, I will shoot, because I believe typically they will head back to where they were safe when confronted with danger. Works for me all the time. This and one other time when I shot the deer they ran forward to where they were heading. This is the second deer in 7 years I lost to him.

To top it off he has no interest in retrieving deer his deer (does) off of my property, although it has not happened in two years. Three years ago he had three deer laying on my side of the fence. I confronted him this spring about it and he says he has fixed that problem now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts