Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering (if the opportunity presents itself again) of shooting a large buck that has progessively lost the right side of his rack. I don't know what he does to it, but everytime I see him it is boken more and more. Now it's to the point now where it's broken to the base.

It's good side very large and sports 5 tall points with lots of mass. Would you shoot it? I know I should probably let it walk and hope it makes it to next year.....But 365 days is a long time. He could be hit by a car, poached, or just move on.

I respect many members opinions, and most of you have been observing deer for a lot longer than I have so your comments would be most welcome.

PS This location has a lot (700 acres) for him to play on, so theoretically he probably has lived here for all his life.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm sure he'll taste the same with half a rack vs. both sides. If he's a big mature deer, I would certainly take him out if given the opportunity. I let a half rack deer walk two years ago. But he was only a 1.5y old.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
If he looks to be a healthy animal I would let him go. Better luck next year. If not, say he has a bad limp or any significance of deteriorating health I would take him.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
boy these deer are getting smarter, the bucks know he won't be shot if his head gear is missing. I say take him so he doesn't pass his philosophy onto other bucks. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's hard to decide from the outside looking in; Personally I would let him go and let him grow, but if he is a buck you would be happy with take him. Shooting a mature buck with only one side of his rack doesnt make it any easier, he is still just as smart.

·
Administrator
17,645 Posts
Size matters!
If he is a large bodied, mature deer - I would eat his heart for dinner.
Sure, it would be nice to get another one for the wall one day, but a mature buck is still a mature buck.
<----<<<

·
Registered
3,457 Posts

This is a 3.5 year old from public land.

I would do it again in a heart beat! It is one of my best hunts since my nephew was with me at the time(him in the pic). He got the patch for tracking it. Me and my Dad kept teasing him that we need to find the other antler uncle Chuck shot off. He would start to look around for it and we would laugh. lol

Then on the drag out I told him I would give him 1000.00$ to drag it out for me. His eyes widend real big and he grabbed the drag rope and couldnt even budge the deer. He pulled real hard for some time too. Me and my dad laughed so hard. He looked at me and said "uncle Chuck you new I couldt drag that deer didnt you?" I said hell ya wadda you think I got a grand to give you for dragging a deer outta the woods??? lol

Last year he was 15 and shot a doe and drug it out himself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don't shoot Elliot :). Just kidding, last year I was on a buddies property and shot one like that, walked up to him and also suprised by the large plastic tag hooked to his ear. Weirdest one yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
If he looks to be a healthy animal I would let him go. Better luck next year. If not, say he has a bad limp or any significance of deteriorating health I would take him.
:yeahthat: X 3

If he makes it and keeps breeding it sounds like he is passing on some pretty good genetics..

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I wouldn't shoot him. But, that's just me.

I'm a horn hunter and if I'm looking to for meat I kill the does. He'll have both antlers next year and be even bigger.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I'm on record as having 3.5 as my threashold regardless of bone, this situation is no different. Although I may not drop $450 on a full shoulder mount I would certainly honor the buck with a nice euro and donate the cape to someone who needs one.
One of the reasons he may be all busted up is because he's a scrapper/bully. In this situation I would remove him to keep him from possibly driving other mature bucks out of the area. JMO.

Big T

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Funny you ask the question.....last friday I hunted a ground blind and saw a very nice half rack buck. He would have been a dandy 8-point if he had his right side.

Fast forward to last night, I'm hunting the same area as last Friday and my goal was to kill a doe for the farmer. I called in a couple of nice does and smoked one at 15 yards. 20 minutes later, I heard another deer, thinking it was the partner of the deer I just shot, I stared tipping the can call and out walks this half rack would be 8-point. He stood broadside at 15 yards for a few minutes, actually sniffing the arrow from the doe I shot 20 minutes earlier. He presented the perfect shot, but I didn't take it. I have plenty of meat now, and being only half rack, he wasn't one for the wall. Next year he'll be a real dandy!

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
If it is broken I would pass in hopes that it would grow the following year...
If it has grown that way then Yes I would shoot assuming that it would remain that way the rest of the bucks life..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts