Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
If you decide on the deer shack buy a redneck blind abd don’t look back. You will have zero regrets on that purchase. But which one will you get more use out of? Maybe spend $800 or so and build your own blind and use the rest of the dough to buy a used boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
777 Posts
Personally would have no interest in one of those blinds. Utter PIA to get wherever you want it then that same utter PIA if you ever want to move it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Would you rather you own a nice Taj-mahal commercial deer blind, (think Shadow hunter vs Banks Stump 4) to put in, the back of your property, or a similarly priced Jon boat?

So to explain..... Been saving up a little cash, and have about $3500 for a project. I live on some acreage that I hunt on, and have been using ground blinds over the last few years, so I have the deer pretty well patterned out and have a few different spots that a permanent blind now makes sense to put in as a raised blind. My young kids like to hunt with me, so I would rather have a better-than-I-can-build blind to help with sound and smells, hence the commercial route for buying the blind.

My other option is to use the money to buy a cheaper Jon boat to do some river fishing. Nothing fancy, just enough to get me and my kids out on the water away from the banks that we usually go on. This would definitely be a lower end Jon boat for the price, but something that would be usable.

So what are your thoughts on the two??
Why, is it one or the other? . Me and the boys built nice schacks out of dumpster lumber at building sites ,do both !

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
boat it would be for me, I hate hunting deer from inside four walls and a roof. Nothing better than sitting in a tree stand or on the ground when hunting deer sure you will get busted at times but that is part of the hunt.
I dislike tents myself so I compromised. I have 4 posts & a roof.
upload_2020-9-8_6-37-34.jpeg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry, I know you said boat or blind, but I'd go boat first, then spend a few hundred on a 2-man ladder stand and the necessary safety gear. Hunting from above is an awesome experience, the kids will love it. Until I'm too old get up and down a tree, I prefer the aerial view.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts