Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you rather you own a nice Taj-mahal commercial deer blind, (think Shadow hunter vs Banks Stump 4) to put in, the back of your property, or a similarly priced Jon boat?

So to explain..... Been saving up a little cash, and have about $3500 for a project. I live on some acreage that I hunt on, and have been using ground blinds over the last few years, so I have the deer pretty well patterned out and have a few different spots that a permanent blind now makes sense to put in as a raised blind. My young kids like to hunt with me, so I would rather have a better-than-I-can-build blind to help with sound and smells, hence the commercial route for buying the blind.

My other option is to use the money to buy a cheaper Jon boat to do some river fishing. Nothing fancy, just enough to get me and my kids out on the water away from the banks that we usually go on. This would definitely be a lower end Jon boat for the price, but something that would be usable.

So what are your thoughts on the two??

·
Registered
600 Posts
I consider my boat to be a measure of freedom on the water. I consider my blind to be a convenient shelter and a little bit of concealment.

You have to decide for yourself, what you value more; but I wholeheartedly endorse the boat option.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
If I was to do one, it would be a nice boat at 3500. I could also have a nice fish finder on it and a little better boat than a cheap jon boat for the kids to move around in.
I personally don't care for built blinds. Can not hear deer moving, and miss another of slight movement around me.
I do have a few pop up i use for the kids or during the rain.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
You can get plenty of boat to get you out there for $2500 and a blind for $1000 all in. This is in the hunting forum and i can see where a jon is nice for hunting, but if just for fishing any reason why not a deep or mod v? Much better ride imo.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
10,061 Posts
Buy what you enjoy the most and what will give you the most time with your kids I ll take a custom built blind any day over a commercial built one, but that’s just me. I get enjoyment out of building them and then when I kill a deer it makes it even better

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Heck you can sink some 4x4 in the ground then thick plywood on top and be two or three feet off the ground with a couple steps and u can get tent blinds cheap on sale and anchor them to the platform and leaf and branch them in. Leave them up or put them back up every Labor Day weekend and take them down New Year’s Day. Kids can help you redo the camo every year and you spent a hundy for each set up. And there are so many deals on Jon boats a nice 16’ with a 20 horse and a decent trolling motor and fish finder and trailer easy to find for the $3500 and down even. Then you are hunting and fishing with them! Fun for All involved. Rambling on but just my two cents. Good Luck on whatever you choose.

Reactions: miruss

·
Super Moderator
37,760 Posts
Boat. You can always put a duck blind on it...

·
Registered
863 Posts
The way I look at it is you need the boat to float on the river but you don't need the blind to hunt your land. Fact is you don't need a blind to hunt at all and may find you enjoy hunting better outside the box! As already stated the boat opens a world of possibilities.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
boat it would be for me, I hate hunting deer from inside four walls and a roof. Nothing better than sitting in a tree stand or on the ground when hunting deer sure you will get busted at times but that is part of the hunt.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
If I was to do one, it would be a nice boat at 3500. I could also have a nice fish finder on it and a little better boat than a cheap jon boat for the kids to move around in.
I personally don't care for built blinds. Can not hear deer moving, and miss another of slight movement around me.
I do have a few pop up i use for the kids or during the rain.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I had a similar thought. Buy a pop up and put it on a raised platform and spend the rest of the money on a boat. If he is getting use out of the pop up, when enough is saved, he could purchase an enclosed blind and place it on the platform.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts