Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

If the DNR made Jacklighting legal would you do it if it helps you get your deer.

• I'm grabbing my rifle/shotgun and spotlight and getting my deer.

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • I'm not quite ready to go that far.

Votes: 82 78.1%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the DNR decides since Michigan hunters are having a hard time killing Deer without bait and you can't have bait because it spreads disease, they decide to make Jacklighting legal.

So do you grab your shotgun or rifle and spotlight and head for the fields if thats what it takes to help you get your deer, or are you not quite ready to go that far.

I'll leave my spotlight at home.:)

·
Banned
2,024 Posts
How could that be safe? You could never be sure of what lays beyond the deer you were about to shoot.
I passed the largest rack of my life when I was a teenager because beyond the buck (out of sight) I knew our neighbor was setting in his blind. And that was in the daylight.

With baiting, it position's the deer to an area that you determined for your shot.
Maybe the same thing could apply to your jacklighting scenario, I don’t know, I never thought about it.
Now you said "LEGAL" so I voted yes. Although I would probably never do it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Law or no law....

Agreement with Fred Bear.... ethics and fair chase is what hunting is all about.

Can you imagine trying to sleep at 3am with these jacklighting "hunters" doing what is legal ?? :rant:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Oh now come on. We all know Jacklighting is not something to be proud of. Whats the challenge in it?
Wait it could be legit.
Think about it.
It cannot be easy to know when and in what field the deer will be in all the time, so you would have to put in some time and expense driving around.
Judging yardage at night would be tricky, so it would take some skill.
Then you will have to sneak in to claim your rightful prize, on somebody's property, in the dark, while trying to avoid the armed landowner.
Hey this might work after all. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Well...It may have a positive affect on those pesky bucks that go nocturnal. Think of it, for those of us that wouldn't jacklight...we'd take advantage of more "day time" movement eventually!:lol:

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Since I'm not a State Trooper, I'll stick to shooting my deer during the daytime. ;)

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
I would wait for the late jacklighting primitive season where only kerosene lanterns could be used with muzzleloaders.

12 volt jacklighting is for noobs. :tdo12:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts