Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living near Lake Huron, would it be illegal if I would collect some discarded Christmas trees, take them out on a boat, securing them with some kind of weight, and dropping them into the water? I'm not planning on doing this, but wouldn't it be nice to have your own "weed bed" to go to. Wonder what the DNR thinks about this?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Don't know if legal or not but people mark their spearing holes with Christmas trees all the time. I don't think they go pick them up when the ice melts.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
It's illegal not different than if you were dumping tires to make habitat!
Yes people mark thier spear holes with trees to alert other to there presence but technically illegal!

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those trees that line the ice road at Mitchell's Bay in Canada could be another example 1979. Just a little off tempo, about 30 or more years ago Michigan State University sponsored a project to build a man made reef in Lake Huron. The purpose was to attract a greater variety of fish. Don't know what happened, but it did not materialize. To bad, it was (or is) to be just about 4-5 miles south of where I live.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I recently watched a documentary on the mackinaw ice rd. They showed the ice breaker busting up the ice in the straits and if I remember correctly the trees were still up.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Those trees that line the ice road at Mitchell's Bay in Canada could be another example 1979. Just a little off tempo, about 30 or more years ago Michigan State University sponsored a project to build a man made reef in Lake Huron. The purpose was to attract a greater variety of fish. Don't know what happened, but it did not materialize. To bad, it was (or is) to be just about 4-5 miles south of where I live.
There are some reef like structures in the pt. austin area but that is a little bit further than 4-5 miles on Huron :)

My Grandmother has a neighbor that put up a tree way out on their concrete dock going out towards the lake. Such that the next 3-5 houses south of the harbor when viewing the fireworks at the harbor on 4th of July have a partially obstructed view.

Now isn't he special?! what a jerk thing to do.. really...

If you are looking for a tree for the brush pile, I will gladly provided the gasoline and the match and GPS coordinates of this tree, haha... :evil:

Probably not legal however..... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
999 Posts
I'm pretty sure u can do that, peaple do it all the time, my son live up just north of the Blue Water Bridge means to do the same thing

·
Premium Member
10,619 Posts
Illegal, but not uncommon. Practiced under the dark of a moonless night...or so I have heard. Rumor has it that cinder blocks are the weight of choice.

Neighbors of mine did it for years on a private inland lake. Always a magnet for gills and specks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Those trees that line the ice road at Mitchell's Bay in Canada could be another example 1979. Just a little off tempo, about 30 or more years ago Michigan State University sponsored a project to build a man made reef in Lake Huron. The purpose was to attract a greater variety of fish. Don't know what happened, but it did not materialize. To bad, it was (or is) to be just about 4-5 miles south of where I live.[/Qare you talking about the lakeport reef?UOTE]

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
Those trees that line the ice road at Mitchell's Bay in Canada could be another example 1979. Just a little off tempo, about 30 or more years ago Michigan State University sponsored a project to build a man made reef in Lake Huron. The purpose was to attract a greater variety of fish. Don't know what happened, but it did not materialize. To bad, it was (or is) to be just about 4-5 miles south of where I live.[/Qare you talking about the lakeport reef?UOTE]
That would have been nice, I have a cousin that owns a place just North of Lakeport right on the water............

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
not sure if illegal since the practice is used quite a bit, people mark ice trails with them all the time all over the place, and it is said that those Christmas trees supply perch fry habitat to grow and helps the perch fishing the following years since each tree can become home to thousands of perch fry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts