Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this week's DNR fishing report, they give a reason for the lack of perch being caught in the "cuts' up around the top of the "Thumb" this spring.

Here it is as it appeared in the fishing report: "It appears the perch are just about done spawning. The few fish caught in the cuts last week were either ripe or already spawned out. Fewer perch were found in the cuts and river mouths this spring, but with the return of weed beds after the mussels cleared up the water, perch don’t have to run into the cuts to spawn."

Will a more knowledgeable person please interpret that underlined last sentence up above for me so that I may get a better understanding of what exactly is being said there as far as zebra mussels and weed beds are concerned. And, is this an indication of what we can expect from now on up in the cuts? I truly miss the good perch fishing we've had there in past years.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
In this week's DNR fishing report, they give a reason for the lack of perch being caught in the "cuts' up around the top of the "Thumb" this spring.

Here it is as it appeared in the fishing report: "It appears the perch are just about done spawning. The few fish caught in the cuts last week were either ripe or already spawned out. Fewer perch were found in the cuts and river mouths this spring, but with the return of weed beds after the mussels cleared up the water, perch don’t have to run into the cuts to spawn."

Will a more knowledgeable person please interpret that underlined last sentence up above for me so that I may get a better understanding of what exactly is being said there as far as zebra mussels and weed beds are concerned. And, is this an indication of what we can expect from now on up in the cuts? I truly miss the good perch fishing we've had there in past years.
Maybe that due to the zebra mussels cleaning up the water clarity, the sun penetrates the water deeper and promotes more weed growth. Since perch prefer to spawn in vegetation, less of them may enter the cuts?

·
Banned
5,180 Posts

My opinion is that yes the mussels have cleared up the water to an extent, although weed beds have been there the higher water has made it easier for the perch to spawn in a more habitat way in the reeds/weeds along the shoreline/ river mouths. Cold temps and late ice at the mouths the last two years in spring I believe made them(perch) change their ways. As for the Fall perch run last year that was also a bust, high water and temps kept them out in big water. Hope and think they will come back in numbers again in the cuts/ditches, it may just be a cycle we are going thru. Let mother nature do her thing and they (perch) should be easier to find again for most.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
My opinion is that yes the mussels have cleared up the water to an extent, although weed beds have been there the higher water has made it easier for the perch to spawn in a more habitat way in the reeds/weeds along the shoreline/ river mouths. Cold temps and late ice at the mouths the last two years in spring I believe made them(perch) change their ways. As for the Fall perch run last year that was also a bust, high water and temps kept them out in big water. Hope and think they will come back in numbers again in the cuts/ditches, it may just be a cycle we are going thru. Let mother nature do her thing and they (perch) should be easier to find again for most.
Totally agree with your hypothesis!! I'm sure there are a lot more variables that caused the change but I agree your explanation are the main reasons. As long as we have high water I think we can expect the same result.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Not to hijack thread but while reading the dnr report i notice it says bass catch and release is all year. Does this mean i can go bass fishing with cranks right now in the river??? Lol
God I hope so! My son read the same rules as did I. He’s been bass fishing the last couple weeks. Granted he doesn’t keep anything though.

·
Premium Member
30,538 Posts
I agree Brian. Has more to do with higher water then anything. Perch Kay their eggs on weeds, not gravel, and all the phragmites and everything else along the shore is perfect for cover and spawing these last couple years. Once it all becomes sand again, they'll run the weedy cuts. We'll have to get them from the boats I guess. :)

Not to hijack thread but while reading the dnr report i notice it says bass catch and release is all year. Does this mean i can go bass fishing with cranks right now in the river??? Lol
If you want a ticket. Gear restrictions Trump what's open or not on any given water way. Do you could catch and release on the saginaw river with a worm and a hook...lol.

·
Registered
13,356 Posts
You can catch and release bass now.....but not with cranks in the saginaw river. You could on a local lake or many other places. You still have to adhere to any body of waters gear restrictions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
303 Posts
Fished a ditch by Caseville years ago. It was right along a golf course. We caught a bunch of Perch that day. Great fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts