Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Lansing and was wondering if it was worth it to go pier fishing for salmon/steelhead around st joe, grand haven or holland?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
St. Joe water temp is currently 79 degrees. So thats a big Hell No! As for the other ports I can not speak for. Last I knew Grand Haven was still in the 60s but I would assume 70s now, but no for sure info ive heard.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
wait for the winds to switch for a couple days...its happening soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
That link is not worth a dam. its almost never right.

I found it to be pretty accurate for water temps out of Holland, PS and Grand Haven. Very accurate actually! I fished PS sat morning and the surface temp was 58 at the pier heads, just as it illustrated. Sunday morning I checked the map for temps out of GH and it said 72. I thought it was wrong, but it was spot on.

I've also used it to find pockets of cold water miles out.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
That link is not worth a dam. its almost never right.
Really? If you know how to read it and use some common sense when looking at it, I find it to be much more useful than your other option. But then again, I have been looking at that for about 15 yrs, and back then it was faxed to the Gas Dock each morning, where we would pick up a copy on our way out for our charter.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
The other option is never wrong. ;)
....or regularly updated...or detailed....or very accurate...or useful for finding small pockets and sharp breaks...

It is fine for an overview of the lake as a whole, but that is about it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I would add South Haven to that list too. and say yes, they are catching a fair amount of fish right now.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Those were the days...and that was the ticket!!
Sure was. Back when we had good scum lines the whole month of june and part of july. Taking limits of lakers and steelies, both off of the surface on boards. Trolling through scum lines littered with logs, trash, pollen 2" thick, dead fish, a 10-15* temp break, and a ton of current...just don't see that much anymore. Pretty wild when you troll across the break and the boat shifts/turns when you get to the other side, from all of the current.....plus the 2 foot waves in the middle of it while it is flat calm on both sides. Man, I really miss those days.

There are still a few of the older guys who will ask you if "you printed off the fax"......if you said that to most people anymore, they would have no idea. Hell, give it a few more years and most younger people won't even know what a fax is....probably most already have never heard it called facsimile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts