Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little 10 acre "island" of woods I hunt is in the middle that is usually half corn half beans. This year it is all beans. Is it worth my time to hunt this woods this year?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
How close is the nearest food source (corn, acorns, etc) & how thick is the cover in this island?

I'm thinking that the island could be a refuge area for pressured deer.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Deer love beans during the late season! I'm sure deer will be using that island, but whether you should hunt it really depends on if you can get in and out without being detected. In the past I'm going to guess the deer bedded in the corn, now that its not there they might be bedding in that island. Morning hunts will probably be a bust, deer will be in the beans feeding and you'll most likely bust them all out of there on your walk in. But it sounds like it could be an evening hotspot, especially late season. I would just set up on the fringes to avoid jumping anything bedded down in there.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Our expirience has been that regardless of the size of an area, if it has attracted deer in the past it will attract them in the future. I know of a small section of woods under half an acre that consistently holds deer. Hunting the edge may be best to avoid jumping bedded deer like others have said.

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
any spot is a good spot. Some guys cant even get access to 1 acre

Make the best of it, scout the area and place a blind in the area where you see the most traffic

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
We do much better on the farm we have in Dexter, when the rotation is for beans than corn. Just our observation. FRANK

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
We do much better on the farm we have in Dexter, when the rotation is for beans than corn. Just our observation. FRANK
Great observation - I've seent he same thing, likely because the deer hang out in the woods instead of the corn, and we hunt the woods not the corn.

Might be his best year yet on the 10 acre parcel!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the advice. Im just a little worried cause the farm across the street has a much larger woods and is all corn. But there is deer at least passing through my woods every year.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Deer love beans during the late season! I'm sure deer will be using that island, but whether you should hunt it really depends on if you can get in and out without being detected. In the past I'm going to guess the deer bedded in the corn, now that its not there they might be bedding in that island. Morning hunts will probably be a bust, deer will be in the beans feeding and you'll most likely bust them all out of there on your walk in. But it sounds like it could be an evening hotspot, especially late season. I would just set up on the fringes to avoid jumping anything bedded down in there.
:yeahthat:

We had this problem at a farm in Saline we hunted.... Good luck

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
From my experience I would hunt it the first week, and see what happens. The Deer will still be hitting the beans, until they dry down. At that time, Acorns and the corn will be getting ripe and the deer patterns will begin to shift. This is based on my experience with corn and beans.. First week they still hit the beans hard, then shift to corn and acorns as the primary food source and beans as secondary. However Im sure every part of Michigan is different.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
sit tight...when the farm full of corn is pressured, the deer will be back on your island. i killed one of my better bucks over beans early in October a few years back.

as another response stated above, the beans will be a good food source for late season as well.

:fish:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts