Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd start a light-hearted thread about my Uncle Mike, who has to be the worst hunter ever.

I grew up hunting a family property of about 200 acres. Uncle Mike was a firearms season-only hunter (thank God) and staked out one spot on the property. As long as Uncle Mike stayed in his spot, we all knew where he was and could avoid the area because he would get cold by about 8:00 am opening morning and get up and start pacing back and forth in front of his blind.

In spite of his impatience, he always managed to see deer and usually even shot deer. Unfortunately, he only actually recovered one of those deer in all the decades he hunted. It was typical to hear five shots from his semi-automatic shotgun and we all knew Mike was scattering buckshot into a doe family again.

I was a witness to his only recovered deer. I heard his volley and shortly after saw a badly wounded fawn limping along with Mike chasing after it about 100 yards behind. Apparently, the poor creature had gone down with the shot, but as Uncle Mike approached it, it got up and started running, so he began chasing it through the woods. The doe fawn succumbed to it's injuries after a few hundred yards and I heard Uncle Mike's war whoop echoing through the pines.

The rest of us had consistent success killing deer on the property, with an occasional nice buck, but Uncle Mike never asked us for advise and never changed his approach except to eventually put up a permanent "shooting shack" with a 15,000 BTU heater. He still never made it to lunch. We would typically hear his ATV fire up at about 11:00 am to head back to camp.

Eventually, Mike grew older and discouraged and gave up hunting altogether. None of us were upset about it. We still tell "Uncle Mike" stories around the campfire every year, so I guess he contributed to the family hunting lore in his own way.

Do any of you guys have an "Uncle Mike" in your hunting camp?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Moderators, I meant to post this in the Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting forum. Can you move it over?

Reactions: Horseshoe

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
We have one. I could tell some stories but like your uncle mike, they're best kept to the bonfire.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Uncle Bill in my case. As a 12 year old I remember him coming to sit with me in my stand because I had been seeing a lot more deer than him that year. As he is smoking a cigarette, with 2 of us in a hang on stand, a doe starts blowing at us from a quarter mile away. He says "Thats probably from my cigarette, huh?"

The stories are endless, both fishing and hunting. He was, and is, the only uncle or family member that I have that hunts and fishes and would routinely take my brother and I on adventures, even if they were mostly fruitless. As terrible as he was at actually hunting, he was supportive enough and loved the outdoors that I will be forever grateful for his efforts. He is basically 'retired' from hunting now, but loves that we still hunt his property. He is good for about a dozen fishing trips per year still, with a collective average catch of 0.1 fish per trip.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I had a cousin that hunted the 80 next to me. He always got lost about 50 yards into the wood even though he had hunted there for nearly 50 years. I knew when Don was coming back to hunt his blind south and west of me because he would wander around until he found my fence and then follow it to his back fence then down to his blind. Coming out in the evening was even more fun to listen to.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I never had any uncles that hunted, but my father-in-law loves to drive to his blind, slam the door, and then beep his door locks...to let every deer in the area know that his car is now locked. Oh well, I'm grateful that he took me under his wing as his son-in-law and got me included on elk hunting trips to Colorado. For this I am grateful!

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
My BIL and FIL. They only firearm hunt I started sharing a lease with them in 2014 and if they bow hunted I would be long gone. Come Nov 14 they will be in their full Sitka gear setting up pop up blinds all over the property. On Nov 15th when they haven't seen any deer by 9AM they will go push the river bottom bedding area. Over the course of the 15 day season they will talk about all the 120" bucks they passed and usually on the last day they will shoot a "cull" buck that is a 4 or 5 year old spike, or the biggest doe in the group (button buck). They are great people with good intentions, but they are your casual hunter. I will say, my FIL has a 160" buck on the wall that he shot on this lease 15 years ago and I am convinced it was thru dumb luck

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My BIL and FIL. They only firearm hunt I started sharing a lease with them in 2014 and if they bow hunted I would be long gone. Come Nov 14 they will be in their full Sitka gear setting up pop up blinds all over the property. On Nov 15th when they haven't seen any deer by 9AM they will go push the river bottom bedding area. Over the course of the 15 day season they will talk about all the 120" bucks they passed and usually on the last day they will shoot a "cull" buck that is a 4 or 5 year old spike, or the biggest doe in the group (button buck). They are great people with good intentions, but they are your casual hunter. I will say, my FIL has a 160" buck on the wall that he shot on this lease 15 years ago and I am convinced it was thru dumb luck
Yes. I came to realize the family property was only worth hunting during the early archery season. Firearms season became simply a family tradition with no expectations for good hunting.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Mine was uncle myrl. 2 family cabins located on dollar lake off 30 between Gladwin an West Branch. We hit all the public land along 30. We would park on the side of the road and go in about 200 yards apart. Sure enough here's unc shadowing me or dad about 50 yards away. At least nobody ever got lost.lol
Also unc was well armed for small game season with a browning semi auto 12 that would cut a rabbit in half and explode a rooster in a cloud of feathers.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Uncle Dave. Fortunately I don't usually hunt near him, but my brother does. Their blinds are on 2 corners of the same woods. The rest of our crew tends to refer to them as "the tweadle brothers" for obvious reasons.

All of the shooting is done out in the field the way his blind is situated. This is open farm country with chunks of woods in the middle of the sections, and this section doesn't generally hold deer. But they sure come running from other sections when they get pushed around, and that's when the shooting starts. Uncle Dave has an itchy trigger finger, and years ago missed and wounded more deer than he recovered. Finally he got a nice new scoped gun and started shooting much better. Problem is now that mean he might harvest as many as 3 or 4 deer in a single sit, regardless of size or sex! They are all legally harvested and he has the proper tags, but it's definitley a "if it's brown it's down" situation".

Mind you, uncle Dave has an absolute heart of gold and is a fantastic person. But as is tradition, since we all hunt the same general area everyone pitches in to help retrieve and take care of all harvested deer. So these days instead of having some lunch at the deer camp on November 15th, usually we are stuck dragging, dressing, cleaning, and hanging uncle Dave's herd harvest 🤦‍♂️. Then of course a few days later it's tradition for the group to cut up all deer on the meat pole. Most, if not all of them, are his.

Anyway, as others have said there is an awful lot of campfire talk about goofy uncle Dave. Perhaps it's time to alter our traditions a bit haha.

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
Wow! Fun tales.

No , no one like that in my family , uh oh...Does that mean it's me?

A couple old timers has seniority on some land an owner let anyone hunt. It's been sold since those days...
The rest of us steered clear if we knew where they wanted to sit. And help was a holler away if they needed it.

The one told me they don't hunt doe. No surprise back then. Then one morning he touched off a round and later I could see him looking for sign.
I moseyed over and he said , "big doe!". Oh boy...Missed her though. And I didn't need to worry about his opinion if I wanted a doe anymore...
If he sat somewhere , you could tell by the pistachio shells. He missed a buck that tried to join him in the brush once while munching. Maybe it wanted a pistachio?

The other gent had eyes with cataracts so bad , you'd wonder about any shooting potential.
20 or 25 years since he'd made a kill , it was either over for him , or he was well over due.

A cold stretch hit.
Those two would go sit about a half hour , then back to thier car to warm up and have coffee.
Then back out (I could see the trail they used from my stand) for another half hour. Or twenty minutes. Fine with me.
Then on a cold morning after they'd been to and fro a couple times , a buck and two doe followed along behind them.
Maybe forty yards back. Buck had a candle stub on one side making it a half rack.

Told the gents eventually. Which inspired them to keep at it. The one on the long streak of non bloody hands showed me his rifle , sans scope he had removed , but couldn't get the bases off.
One might assume he'd had a scope problem . But those eyes would make one wonder if a scope would help much anyways...

So , another cold morning , maybe the next the gents were returning to car on the same trail ,same o routine ; and a doe came onto the property from my left. Then another and then the same buck nudging the last doe.
They trotted after the two gents and when they were passing by them the one with no scope not only spotted the buck , he shot it !!!!
The jubilation was real.

Almost miss those two sometimes. They were always still excited when a new hunting season arrived.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...The one on the long streak of non bloody hands showed me his rifle , sans scope he had removed , but couldn't get the bases off.
One might assume he'd had a scope problem...
This reminds me of a time I was having a deer hunting chat with one of the local ol' timers. He went to his truck and got his rifle out to show it off to me. He told me the story of how he had acquired the rifle many decades ago and how it was his "pride and joy!". He handed the old bolt-action 30-06 to me like it was a new born baby. I put it to my cheek to look through the scope and saw nothing but foggy greyness. It was broad daylight and I could barely make out the cross-hairs. The scope was as old as the rifle and of much poorer quality and condition. SMH.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts